Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED 35mm Zoom

Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED 35mm Zoom

Superb telephoto-zoom lens for sports and nature photography. 3 ED glass elements for high resolution and high contrast even at maximum apertures. Maintains fast f/2.8 aperture throughout zoom range. Incorporates Autofocus and Internal Focusing technology. D-type lens technology provides distance information to select Nikon digital and film SLR cameras. ED glass for sharp pictures.

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 27, 2009]
Lux Luthor
Expert

Strength:

Sharp, fast, color rendering (is that the correct expression?)

Plastic A/M-ring.

This is the s***! I've had a Canon EF 80-200/2.8L and a Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 HSM previous to this lens and it kicks the other lenses butts. Hard. It's sharp, it's fast and it's built like a Abrams M1 tank. What more could you ask for?

The A/M-ring is made of plastic and is easy to break. It's easy to fix with some super glue, but it still annoys me that Nikon didn't build the lens with a metal ring.

I primarily use my 80-200 to shoot basketball games and it never lets me down. It's an exeptional tool for the pro and advanced amateur. Don't hesitate if you get the chance to buy one. Just do it, as the Nike commercial proclaims.

People generally complain about the lens being heavy. This makes no sense what so ever. What do people expect? That the amount of glas and metal this lens i built of has the same weight as plastic? Actually this lens is a light weight (1300 g/46.4 oz) compared to the competition:

Nikkor AF-S 80-200: 1550 g (55.4 oz)
Nikkor AF-S 70-200 VR: 1430 g (51 oz)
Nikkor AF-S 70-200 VR II: 1540 g (55 oz)
Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 II HSM: 1370 g (48.9 oz)
Tamron AF 70-200/2.8 Di IF: 1100 g (39.3 oz)

As you can see the only lens that's actually lighter is the Tamron and I find it hard to belive that the Tamron is as sharp and fast as my lens and I really doubt that it will last as long as mine. 200g of extra weight is nothing. Read about this lens at www.kenrockwell.com

Finally I would like to point out that I live in Sweden. Prices might be different here compared to the prices in other parts of the world.

Canon EF 80-200/2.8L, Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 HSM

[Aug 31, 2009]
BruceA
Intermediate

Strength:

Optically sharp.
Well built.
Significantly less expensive than its 70-200mm VR descendent.
Comes with a sturdy storage case.
Five year Nikon USA warranty.

Heavy.
The manual focus ring has a little play in it. Just a smidgen but enough to be annoying.
Doesn't come with a sun shade.

This is a great lens! Sharp, clear and well built. I took a photo (handheld) of a moving buffalo cow with my D80 from about 150 feet away in the evening sun and when I enlarged it on my computer, I could clearly see her individual eyelashes hairs. Best telephoto zoom I've ever used and the last I'll ever need to buy.

I have learned to only use it on a tripod or monopod - or rest it on something stable. To me, it would be a waste to handhold a lens with such great optical sharpness (although at a high enough shutter speed you can do it), and well, it is a heavy lens. The pod mounting ring is handy and sturdy.

This, in my opinion, is not a good walk around lens, and I don't think I'd take it on an overseas vacation. . The 18-135mm kit lens is actually really good for that. But if you have a definite, light sensitive, mission in mind and a midrange zoom telephoto is what you need, I don't think you could find a better value.

Not needed.

Bunch of Nikon and Canon stuff over the years.

[May 07, 2009]
onefive15
Intermediate

Strength:

Sharp.Sharp,Sharp

Too heavy but works well with a monopod.

This is the sharpest lens I have own and it is much shaper than the 70-200mm VR f2.8 (due to VR the 70-200mm has one more set of optics which make it less sharp this is same thing that happen to the older version of the Nikon 105mm micro which is sharper than the new VR version) that's why Nikon discontinue this lens in order for the 70-200mm to have a better sale, here is a website that has these 2 lens comparison: http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=248&t=251192&p=1
as you can compare the pictures in this site at the same situations this lens beat 70-200mm VR at sharpness in all the F-stops. I am very happy I bought this lens.

[Jul 04, 2008]
Jake star
Professional

Strength:

fast, sharp, great contrast, lighter than the AF-S, Price.
Remeber this is a Nikon lens and they don't make bad lenses.
Great street cred' !!!

Lens Hood optional, £30 GBP, can hunt during auto focus but does have a limiter,
bit of torque whip but nothing discouraging, unless in bright light with a high shutter speed you will need a monopod or tripod but that applies to all types of this lens

At first after buying this lens I felt a little disappointed as I really wanted the AF-s version which is now discontinued and ended with the AF-D.
This proved to be unfounded, sharp clear great blurring of backgrounds giving pictures a clarity and soildness i ahve not seen in a long time, I coupled to a Nikon D300 and it works superbly. I test photographed a notice board size approx A1 at 200 metres and was able to read the site map on it when I zoomed in this was at 200 2.8
If you have a notion for it, Buy it its a bargain compared to the £1500 new 70 -200

Sigma , but it does not even compare

[Jun 23, 2008]
mohawk51
Expert

Strength:

Build, Build, Build!!!
ED, ED, ED!!!

None really noted at this point!

The last 80-200MM lens I owned was the F4.5 version in the '70's I believe and It was a pretty good lens. The one I have now is the two-ring ED AF version F2.8 with 3 ED elements. This one, in my opinion is better. Great color, saturation and almost 2 F-stops faster. It is a bit heavy but I use it with my monopod which helps. I believe Nikon got it right with this version. Well, along with the AF-S version as well but there was a big price difference. Don't feel like I had to settle for second best with this lens.

Haven't needed them...

Too many Nikkors to mention here...

[Mar 20, 2008]
crunch61
Professional

Strength:

build quality, image quality, price, brand name

The M/A focus switch is easy to knock out of position

My personal feeling is that this lens is possibly one of Nikon's finest ever made. It's got plenty of contrast, it's very sharp, well built and heavy, just how Nikkor's should be!
Despite the weight of this lens, it never feels bulky on cameras (i use it on a D2Xs), in fact i can't fault the handling at all, except the M/A focus switch, which can be knocked out of position sometimes, but not a major issue overall.
The body of the lens also has a non removable tripod ring, which does the job when you may need to use it, which rotates smoothly.
Because Nikon have introduced the 70-200mm f2.8, you can pick this lens up new for the same sort of money you would spend on a used one, or a lesser brand one, which is a real bargain for the quality of lens you're getting.
On a DX sensor camera, this lens becomes a 120-300mm f2.8, which is great for sports and people pictures, and some wildlife.
If you're in the market for a top quality, pro spec telephoto zoom, then you won't really go wrong with one of these lenses, and it's built to last!

not used

sigma 50-150mm f2.8, sigma 70-200mm f2.8

[Jan 23, 2008]
retroactiv
Expert

Strength:

Very Durable, Heavy, professional grade lens. Like I said above this is the best lens that I have ever used, including a 50,000 lens for a Television camera.

Heavy. Very Heavy.

The best lens I have ever had, very rugged very sharp, very heavy. I would recommend this lens to anyone that needs fast glass for not a lot of money.

[Nov 29, 2007]
kay Shumway
Intermediate

Strength:

Able to get good results in low light
Sharp at all distances
I am so happy that I bought this lens with a teleconverter I have sidestepped buying a 5000 dollar lens for my nature photographs.

HEAVY none other than that It is worth it's weight in gold. I love it It will be my main lens from now on. Great portrait lens

This 80-200 lens is the best I have used yet. I take a lot of photos in low light and 2.8 is just what I needed. I have been using a kenko 2x teleconverter at times with the lens. the pictures are sharp and colors are great. It requires a tripod most oif the time though with 2.8 the shutter speed is faster than with my 70-300 at 4.5. I am very happy with this lens.

[Nov 11, 2007]
Soukpasong
Intermediate

Strength:

Sharp, fast enough AF for sport and animal photographing

no tripod holder, the cola is no fixed with this lens

I just buy this lens today, i have a very good feeling about it, even though i was looking for the 80 200 with cola second hand then i found this one 98 %, and build quality is superp, its easy to zoom and manual focus also like dream.

i bought this one in Hanoi Vietnam

80 200 F/2.8. 70 200 VR

[Oct 16, 2007]
mohawk51
Expert

Strength:

Everything!

Nothing!

I bought this lens in 2/07. I have no complaints about the lens whatsoever. The chromes have excellent contrast, color and sharpness. It feels like a pro lens and looks like a pro lens (crinkle finish) and all. When I put this lens on my F3 or FE2, it just feels right. It has the stiffness I like on both rings. I believe it's got 3 ED elements and the first one if I remember right is the front one. That's where I like a lens with ED to start (Just a personal preference). I thought at first I really wanted the AF-S version of the 80-200. However, the price was insane, even on "sleeze-bay) and it would have been used as well. I understand also that the weight is quite substantial. Forget that! So, for $800 you get a new lens, lighter than the AF-S and produces some outstanding chromes. A no brainer....

No need (Knock on wood).

Every Nikkor I can think of.