Quantaray 70-300mm F4-5.6 LDO MACRO SUPER 35mm Zoom

70-300mm F4-5.6 LDO MACRO SUPER

The outstanding magnification range on this lightweight, compact lens will add impact and intimacy to close-ups, portraits and everything in between. It is a compact Apochromatic telephoto zoom lens incorporating two Special Low Dispersion (LDO) glass elements in the front lens group, plus one Special Low Dispersion glass element in the rear lens group, to minimize chromatic aberration. It is a Tele-Macro Zoom lens, capable of focusing down to 1:2 (half life-size) reproduction ratio at 300mm focal length with superb optical quality.

User Reviews (23)

jaimejia   Intermediate [Jun 25, 2010]
Strength:

Good photos, Sharp and being autofocus is easy to use

a litlle heavy

I bought my Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LDO MACRO, TECH-10 PF-AF and used in a Pentax MZ50 , now I want to use this lens in a Digital DSLR camera
Wich one do you recomend me.

Thanks

alg   Casual [Feb 16, 2006]
Strength:

Decent lens, compact, capable of close-up (1:2) work, decent sharpness.

Purple fringing/chormic aberration is quite noticeable in areas of high contrast. Slow lens, but to be honest I personally don't find speed to be much of a problem for my uses.

I received this lens as a birthday gift a few years ago. At the time I was shooting on a 35mm SLR and as a very casual photog I only took images on special occasions like sporting events or trips. The result was that I mostly wound up with snapshots and I wasn't too terribly impressed with the performance of this lens although I noticed that the sports images did look decent. Anyway now I have a dSLR and am not inhibited by film processing costs and hassles. Since I still had the lens I decided to go and give it a second try and I must admit, this lens is far better than I initially gave it credit for. When properly using this lens it can produce excellent results. A recent trip to the local botannical gardens yielded many excellent images with a handful of 'awesome' shots. However I would personally suggest the Sigma 70-300 APO version. (This lens is essentially a copy of the Sigma 70-300 *non APO* lens). The APO coating will be worth it to eliminate the purple fringing/chromic aberration.

lukaszb   Intermediate [Oct 14, 2003]
Strength:

- decent sharpness - if you need to go to 300mm this an ok choice

- too expensive for the quality - slow focus - a bit noisy - focusing ring rotates, which makes you readjust your polarizer filter all the time.

I got this lens as a part of a kit at local Ritz store. I bought Elan 7 body. Despite some of the bad reviews I must say that this is decent equipment. Sharp enough to take general landscape photos. It's ok for some general portrait shots. It is ok, but not worth the $200 or so. For that money you can get much better Canon Lens, e.g.28-105 USM. The main problem that i seem to have with this one is that it's relativly heavy. My arm was hurting after a shor period of time after carrying it around town.

Bill50   Intermediate [Apr 12, 2002]
Strength:

it''s pretty sharp, even wide open lightweight for magnification it offers cheap when the 70-200 is not long enough, 300 is nice to have until I get a teleconverter for the Sigma

autofocus is slow and is dim thru the viewfinder not fast enough- handheld in low light is out of the question focus ring way too loose in manual focus!!!

This was my first telezoom lens for my Nikon system. If I would been "into good lenses", I would have bought my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM the first time around. But hey, it''s not a bad piece of equipment to keep if you already bought it.

not needed

Similar Products Used: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM
sdjules   Casual [Feb 13, 2002]
Strength:

Cheap and light.

Slow, mediocre quality, lens creeps, lens rotates when zooming, slow, auto focus tends to hunt a bit and is not real smooth, did I mention that it''''s slow?

I bought this lens with my Canon Elan 7 mainly to take pictures at an auto racing event I attend every year in Long Beach, CA. I didn''''t really know much about good lenses at the time and while this lens does do the job it is definitely a cheap lens and doesn''''t come near the quality of even semi pro glass. I am planning on replacing this lens with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L lens as soon as I can scrape up enough cash. I can hardly wait to get rid of this lens.

Speed   Intermediate [Feb 13, 2002]
Strength:

Very capable, budget priced lens. Great zoom range.

Hunts a little. Some loss of detail at 300mm.

This lens is a very good bargain. The results have been better than expected for the most part. It is not a top of the line zoom (such as Nikon''''''''s AF-S), but it is a very capable glass. It has a tendency to "hunt" sometimes, and at 300 mm it loses some detail, but overall it is a great lens for the price. I wish this was a 10 scale, then I''''''''d give it a 9 overall.

Not Needed

Similar Products Used: Nikon 28-80, Nikon 50mm, various other Nikon and Pentax lenses.
Tom Brian   Intermediate [Dec 05, 2001]
Strength:

-good contrast -sharp -easy to use

zoom is a little stiff at first, and the auto focus is slow in certain situations

This is a suprisingly good lense. It has good contrast and it''s auto focus is fairly fast wiht my N80. I''ve gotten very good pictures with this lense. Its also great in macro.

The Ritz people know what they''re talking about

Similar Products Used: Sigma 70-300
Lukasz Daniel   Expert [Oct 13, 2001]
Strength:

Very nice zoom very light.

Definitely not the most quiet lens around but it will do just fine. Think it through before going to shoot wildlife. (Don''t tell me I didn''t tell you so). Zoom seems bit slow for pro action shots but then again could you expect $200 zoom lens to do job of a $2000 one? The thing I still can''t get used to is that MACRO switch. Sometimes it is rather hard to work (minor anussance). I guess I just need to get a hang of it.

I have purchased this lens due to the fact that I couldn''t find Sigma lens anywhere around when I needed one for one assignment and Nikon G lenses do not work well with my Nikon N-70. At first look I thought I was looking at the Sigma lens, well that is until I saw the name tag. As I have been informed, the Quantaray is really Sigma. Well, my other lens is Sigma 28-80 APO and I absolutely love it. I decided to give this one a try. I think that for the $ spent you get excellent quality.

So far so good.

Similar Products Used: None
richard ferrero   Intermediate [Jul 28, 2000]
Strength:

cheap, light, and good picture quality at shorter focal lengths

vignetting at or near 300mm

Vignetting was too bad for me. Why buy 300 mm zoom if it is only useful to 200? Much happier with the Nikon. I guess you get what you pay for.

Ritz was great at trying to get rid of vignetting. Tried different lenses, filters and even camera bodies.

Similar Products Used: Nikon 70-300
Jason McGovern   Casual [Jul 25, 2000]
Strength:

Good price for the quality that you get. It has a reasonable macro range (minimum focus of 3.1 feet, as opposed to 4+ feet on other macro lenses of this focal length range).
I bought mine used for 150 dollars and well worth the price - has seen much use.

If you don't use this lens on a fast camera body (700/800si or a Nikon N80 or beyond) you can't use the autofocus at the 200-300mm range. I used this thing on my Minolta 400si, and while it's great for landscape and such, when you zoom in, you usually need to use manual focus unless if it is EXTREMELY bright outside.

if you can get this lens under 200 dollars and aren't really into sports, take it. The versatility in focal length plus the macro does make this a very useful lens.

no need