Sigma 28-105mm F3.8-5.6 UC III Aspherical IF 35mm Zoom

Available At:
28-105mm F3.8-5.6 UC III Aspherical IF

This new lens builds upon its predecessors (models UC and UC II), offering the same focal length range (28mm to 105mm), and focusing range (19.7 inches to infinity, at all zoom settings) and providing a slightly larger effective aperture (f/3.8-5.6), while reducing the weight to less than 10 oz. A new lens design, including the use of aspherical optics and new mechanical construction, are credited with the reduction in weight, while maintaining the high level of performance for which these lenses are known. This model retains the internal focusing system and a non-rotating front barrel for convenient filter use.

User Reviews (11)

Helgi Tryggvason   Intermediate [Dec 09, 2008]
Strength:

Sharp and delivers consistent and reliable results

Feels weak and the lens mount is made of plastic which has once broken and had to be replaced.

I have several Minolta AF cameras and over 10 lenses for them and this one has been the work horse since the year 2000. I have been using it very much and it has constantly delivered fine results for my slides. Some of the pictures I have made pretty large and they are very sharp.

Very good if a bit pricey

Similar Products Used: Sigma 28-80mm AF macro, Minolta 28-135mm AF, Minolta 28-80mm AF D, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 AF
Available At:
shina1   Intermediate [Mar 21, 2005]
Strength:

sharp , bright and contrasty cheap nice range for portraits lens barrel does not rotate not bad of a speed for AF feels solid hood provided petal type

when resting (not metering or focusing, apperture stopped to f4 automatically but not affected when focusing and taking the shot. camera shows f4 even when aperture is wide open (3.8)not a real issue since images taken usually at f8 for maximum sharpness

a well constructed lens. rugged. smooth zoom and the internal focusing is a value. images are sharp. but notice 30d users. the aperture shows f4 on the lcd but it is actually 3.8 . for some reason its not showinh 3.8. when not metering , the aperture closes down to f4 which is not an issue since we meter and focus before we take the shot- tan, the aperture opens up to the widest. not a big issue overall since f3.8 is allowed. sharpest images are usually at f8 so its not an issue at all

Similar Products Used: canon 18-55 ef-s sigma 70-300mm f4.0 canon ef 50mm 1.8
lukaszb   Intermediate [Apr 10, 2004]
Strength:

- comes with a hood - price - decent built - light - sharp photos

- wish aperture was at f/2.8 ;) - focusing a bit slow

You might be suprised by this lens and how it performs taking the price into account. Sure, it's cheap but regardless it takes sharp and good photos. The major weakness is the focusing system. It is slow and rather loud, but unlike Canons you're not spending couple hundred.

Stephen Louw   Intermediate [Apr 03, 2004]
Strength:

Cheap

Not fully compatable with latest Canon EOS camera's Terrible Vignetting Soft

I bought this with in kit form with an Canon EOS 30 (Elan 7) and have been dissapointed ever since. Firstly, its not fully compatable with the EOS 30/33, although Sigma will fix this for you if you send the lens in (at your cost) for repair. Secondly, even given the price, the optics are terrible. Its consistantly soft, with terrible vignetting, and not at all sharp. Kit lenses are never much to write home about, but this is an exceptionally poor lens.

Will ungrade lens to ensure EOS compatability

Similar Products Used: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
Dek Tinawin   Intermediate [Oct 07, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap Aspherical glass Internal Focusing Compact and lightweight Stable construction

Stiff zoom at first Counter-clockwise zooming

I was in immediate need of a medium-range telezoom lens. I was currently using the 28-80G lens included in my Nikon N65 kit and was not confident with using it. The zoom range is a bit short and the rotating focus was irritating. It also kinda felt too plastic. I wanted to have an all purpose lens so I chose to look for a 28-105mm range lens. After comparing all lenses in this category, I came down to choosing the Sigma. First, it was d*** cheap. For $109, I don't think you can find any other lens with Aspherical glass and Internal Focusing. My first test of this lens was with two events, and boy was I surprised with the results! My pictures were so clear and the colors were great. The lens was lighter than its Nikkor counterpart but still it has a stable built. The hood is perfect and makes you look more professional. My only caveat with this lens is that it zooms in the counter-clockwise as compared to my previous Nikkor that zooms clockwise. I still need to get used to this. The zoom was a bit stiff at first but with frequent use it becomes smoother to rotate. I think this is the best value lens around and I'm sure this is the lens that would last me for years.

Not used

Similar Products Used: Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G KodakGear 80-210mm f/4.5-5.6
Stuart Watchorn   Intermediate [Apr 11, 2003]
Strength:

Build quality Price Sharpness & eye popping color

No full time manual focus Little slow - focus speed and aperature Fiddly focus selector switch can be difficult to operate in a hurry but I guess this prevents it being bumped into the wrong position

Got this lens to match an EOS A2 body. Would have preferred the discontinued Canon lens but couldn't find one and I needed the lens fast. When compared to the new Canon, Tamron & Tokina equivilent, the build quality of the Sigma seems a little better. Focussing and zooming is smoother although maybe not as fast as USM. Sigma has really improved the quality of its medium to pro range of lens. I was really surprised when I started shooting. Very sharp and great color contrast. I have no other lens of this type to compare image quality with but to my eye it looks good.

not yet required

Similar Products Used: Pentax prime lens Sigma 100 - 400
mederic24   Intermediate [Jul 18, 2002]
Strength:

Sharp. Weighs less than 10oz.

None Yet

This is a very nice lens for the price. It is very sharp with good contrast. The range is good for day to day shooting. It has aspherial lens and internal focusing. The lens is well-built and the focusing is smooth. Good Lens for the Money.

Have not needed.

Similar Products Used: Minolta 28-80mm Tamron 70-300mm Minolta 50mm
TUDOR   Intermediate [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

- LIGHTWEIGHT - VERY SHARP - RELATIVELY CHEAP

- SLIGHT DISTORSION AT 28 MM, - A LITTLE BIT DARK

- I use it with a Canon EOS 300 ( rebel 2000 in USA ) , and i''m very satisfied of the result . - the pictures are very sharp and clear.

NOT NEEDED

Similar Products Used: PENTAX LENS 35-80
Mark Johnson   Intermediate [Nov 20, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight, inexpensive, sharp, color good

None

Almost 1/2 the price of its Nikon brother, I find this lens does a nice job for me. I like my pictures to be sharp and colorful and this lens produces good results. Not a "pro" lens but most of us are not "pros". Bottom line it produces very nice photographs and that is after all what most of us desire.

n/a

Similar Products Used: Tamron 28-300
Nikon 70-210
Randy Ennis   Expert [Apr 24, 2001]
Strength:

Very inexpensive!
Very sharp
Close focus at all focal lengths
Lightweight

Polycarb lens mount
A tad slow (3.8 ~ 5.6)

Very nicely done lens! I purchased this to complement my Elan 7E and it's just about a perfect marriage. It balances extremely well on the camera, and the results have been outstanding so far. This lens is on the camera 80% of the time and it has proven itself a really capable performer. Corner to edge sharpness is more than acceptable, and enlargements (from color negs) are beautiful. It certainly outperforms the old 28-90 Vivitar Series 1 lens I used to use. Very slight vignetting noticeable only in large expanses of solid tone. Some barrel distortion at short focal lengths, some pincushion distortion at the long end, but these amounts are not significant in the type of photography I do. I didn't expect to be as impressed with this lens as I am. I got it mostly to shoot snapshots of family, friends, etc. but it's getting real field use!

Not yet needed