Sigma 28-200 f3.5-5.6 Aspherical IF 35mm Zoom

28-200 f3.5-5.6 Aspherical IF

User Reviews (17)

Martin   Intermediate [Feb 06, 2017]
Strength:

works ok on a full frame if you know it's limits

open soft at tele and soft in the corners at wide angle

I bought my lens in a very good condition for just 40 bugs at ebay - in a mint condition. First tries on a dull day were terrible so I didn't mind it for a while. Then I did some comparison with my other lenses on my full frame Nikon D700. I tested it against my Nikkor 35-105D and my 50mm prime.
My prime at 50mm setting was far better - no matter what setting but at f 8 I was also happy with this Sigma.
Then I tried it against my Nikkor and after that test I sold my Nikkor because it wasn't able to hold up with this Sigma.
I'm not saying that this is the perfect lens, but I like the idea of having it for those cases I can't change my lenses quickly. I will always prefer my Nikkor primes but this Sigma has now also it's place in the bag.

Sagar S Gosavi   Intermediate [Sep 02, 2006]
Strength:

good range covered
compact
close focusing .
sharp .

low light performance .

Sigma 28-200 f3.5-5.6 Asp IF ... thereare lots of varient of sigma28-200 ..
I read the above reviews ..but most of the people got confuse between these varients ..
Let me clear this ,Sigma 28-200 f3.5-5.6 Asp IF lens is amazing . results are very sharp from 28mm to100mm. then after its lil softer but again very lil.

It is worth buying this lens and the best thing is u'll get this lens for jus 275$

Note : People please don't get confused and don't confuse others :)

prole   Casual [Feb 19, 2005]
Strength:

It's all in one and it's cheap, no potentially image crippling quality issues.

I've seen better AF on a compact camera cheaper than this lens, softy softy approach to images won't appeal.

All prices are Pounds not Dollars, Britain fended off the Euro, we aren't going to give in to American currency. This, Ladies and Gentlemen was a lesson indeed. Not a lesson in the sense that you shouldn't buy Sigma or not buy this lens, no. The lesson was simple - if you normally spend £400 on a lens and then you go for a £150 one, you're going to realise just how good those ones you had were. It's clear I've been spoiling myself. This is not a bad lens. It's a mediocre, middle of the road, long zoom lens for people on a budget who decide they want one lens they can use for everything, as money is an issue. It's important to remember that most of the time, lenses with a zoom of more than 3x aren't going to be able to match the quality of their more modest range cousins - unless you're willing to spend a packet. 28-200 is about 7x. It's £150. Any quality fanatics aren't going to even entertain this lens, and it produces fairly soft images. Let us then focus on useability and performance, rather than pure quality. AF is precarious. In low light it's a... oh, no profanity. Ah. Also, focusing at 200mm is equally dastardly. If you want a lens where you don't have to resort to manual focus on occasion this is not the lens for you. It will not suffice for wedding, sport or wildlife photography, and quite frankly if I was paying you to photograph my wedding, I'd hope you would use better kit, you cheapskate. If you've tried this in the shop and found the zoom ring to be stiff, don't worry it will free up and become a fairy nice action. I'm using it on a digital camera and I've not found any noticable chromatic abberation, just remember that the 28-200 range is not that on a digital camera - on mine it becomes 42-300 which means it looses the convenience of being a lens that stays on your camera most of the time as the wide angle has vanished. It's a hunky-dory lens for the price, but you may end up wishing you paid more, and if you're on a budget and want a single lens to cover wide angle and telephoto just remember it looses that appeal on a digital camera. I'm reasonably happy with it, because I knew what I was paying and what you get at that price range. You get what you pay for in this business and if you're a beginner there's no point in shelling out for all the pro goodies because you have a job to do too. A good photographer will be able to coax quite a bit out of this lens, I should say.

Not used.

Similar Products Used: No lenses that cover this range.
Daniel   Intermediate [Apr 07, 2003]
Strength:

Decent images for price Good focal length coverage Convenient and small

Vignetting Consumer level glass

I bought this lens to go traveling with only one lens. It's compact and covers a pretty wide series of focal lengths. I caught some pretty decent images with it walking around the city. It is not as clean as my other consumer lenses (Canon 75-300 IS and Sigma 28-105 f2.8), but for what it is, it does a pretty nice job. But there's a rub: at 28mm, the lens gets vignetting with a UV filter attached. It's not present on every image, but on any image where the light is distant to but above the lens. When you attach a polarizer, though, the vignetting becomes quite pronounced (this is with a standard polarizer, not a "wide-angle" polarizer). If you zoom to 35mm, the effect disappears. So be forewarned, this is a reasonable consumer zoom that covers a broad range of focal lengths and produces decent images for the money, but if you use your polarizer alot at 28mm you might not find this lens is for you. Of note, the Tamron 28-300 XR does not have vignetting at 28mm with the UV filter, and has very mild vignetting at 28mm with the UV AND polarizer attached. I cannot speak about the 28-200 Tamron because I haven't shot any film on it; however, when I was at the camera store, I tried the lens with the UV and the polarizer and could not see any vignetting. The Tamron 28-200 might be the best lens of this class if you intend to shoot alot at 28mm with the polarizer filter. Recommendation for shopping: I would load a roll of film in the camera, go to the shop, have them bring out each of the three lenses as well as a UV and polarizer filter. Put each lens on with whatever filter combination you plan to use, and snap a few shots. Then run over to the 1-hour processing place and have them develop your film. In an hour, you will know which lens to buy.

No use.

Similar Products Used: Tamron 28-300 XR Canon 75-300 IS Sigma 28-105 f/2.8
erikm   Intermediate [Jan 12, 2002]
Strength:

Price Focal range

Not a sharp lens. Flare and ghosting. 72mm filter size...some filters cost more than the lens! Manual focus problems with the Maxxum 7

I''m not one to slam a "consumer" lens and compare it to all the pro glass out there but this lens didn''t really make me happy. It''s fairly heavy considering the cheap plastic barrel construction. I experienced a lot of flare and ghosting and it ruined many irreplacable pictures. I know that flare and other light related issues are usually the users fault but this lens would somehow go out of it''s way to find light sources and kill the photo. The "perfect hood" didn''t do much to help the problem because I always used it. The image sharpness was lacking as well. I ended up selling it for a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 and a 80-200mm APO f2.8. Ofcourse these lenses set me back more than a few hundred bucks but I''m taking photography more seriously too. It''s a decent snapshot lens while traveling due to it''s size and focal range.

I sold the lens rather that fix any problems.

Similar Products Used: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f2.6 - f2.8 Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200mm f2.8 APO Minolta Maxxum 200mm f 2.8 APO
Jose Eduardo Lira   Intermediate [Dec 21, 2001]
Strength:

None

Heavy, bad sharpness, focus with low light is hard task.

Sigma(Significant Malfunction)the worst thing I ever done was buying this lens.After one 3 months of use it didn''t focus with 28mm and the sharpness was very poor.

n/a

Similar Products Used: Cannon 100-300 USM
I. Peters   Casual [Feb 28, 2000]
Model Reviewed: 28-200 f3.5-5.6 Aspherical IF
Strength:

Very versatile due to range; fairly lightweight. For years, this was the one lens I took with me when travelling.

Enlargements of pictures clearly show a lack of sharpness. Recently my lens developed a problem with AF. It locks up and I have to literally "yank" it free.

A good-enough lens for a beginner or someone who wants to travel light. because it covers this huge range from 28 mm to 200 mm. Personally, I wouldn't buy it again, because I'd like a faster lens (which is of course much more expensive) now.

N/A

Similar Products Used: Sigma 35-80
Massimiliano Gatti   Intermediate [Jan 16, 2000]
Model Reviewed: 28-200 f3.5-5.6 Aspherical IF
Strength:

Range, weight

distortion at 28 mm, softness at 200 mm

The ideal lens for when I can carry only one. A good lens for its price, but with some fault at 28 and 200. Perfect for a beginner.

Never needed

Similar Products Used: None
Francis Rogers   Intermediate [Dec 23, 1999]
Model Reviewed: 28-200 f3.5-5.6 Aspherical IF
Strength:

When you travel on foot, you have to travel light; this single lens gives you a lot for very little weight or cost.

Minimum focusing distance is annoying at first. Clarity at the high end is a performance trade off.

Until you can afford one of the f2.8 70/80-200 lenses, or something like the Canon 35-350, this is an excellent tool for the general photographer.

Never needed

Similar Products Used: None
Alan Mindlin   Intermediate [Oct 09, 2000]
Strength:

Fairly sharp lens, bright
light really enhances clearly more than other lenses I have used.Fairly light and has a versitlible range so if you want to travel light you can take this one lense and take really good photos without being
a pack mule.

As you go past 150 mm it
loses alittle clarity. No lense can be perfect at all focal lengths and reasonable in price,

This lense is a very good value. It combines good
performance with excellent flexiblity. There is no
manufactures lenses that are 28-200. The lense is a
perfect core lense

When you call and have a
question on this or any product the techs on the other end of the line are very helpful and informative.They will even answer questions on used equipment one is trying to purchase on e-bay.