Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Compact Hyperzoom 35mm Zoom

28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Compact Hyperzoom

This lens can capture widely varying subjects, and you can rely on it when the decisive monument arrives. A compact design with a length of only 3.5 in (90mm) gives the lens even greater mobility. And SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass and aspherical lenses give it high optical ability.

• Minimum aperture: f/22-41
  • Min focus: 35.4cm/50.8in

• User Reviews (13)

deguss   Intermediate [Mar 17, 2004]
    Strength:

light weight, great price and sharp picture.

little soft on wild open and 300mm.

It is a good all in one len for people who like travel. I used this len on Grand Canyon and Tibet and result is great. Yes, I agree it has little soft on wild open and quality drop on 300mm; but we all know it can not compare with prime len and price is 1/10 of the high end len like Canon and Nikon. I get a very good photo and sharp image between 80 to 200mm. For this price, I'm very happy on it.

None

Similar Products Used: Sigma 70-200mm APO Nikon 28mm Nikon 35-105mm
    TwoBoy   Professional [Dec 21, 2003]
    Strength:

Excellent "in car" lens when lens changing is not really convenient. Peformance vs. Price

I guess every lens has its own problems but I believe everything has its place in life. No real issues at all.

Very Good for specific uses like taking pictures from your vehicle when there is no time for making lens changes etc. Mine has been a pleasure to use under the stated conditions. The results have been sharp, auto focus is good and fast, and the overall feel is good. I think it is probably an ideal lens for anyone wanting a good all round lens and if you have a restricted budget. An ideal starter lens - you can always buy up later when you determine what you really want and can afford.

Not needed.

Similar Products Used: Whole range of Sigma EX's and Minolta lenses.
    Vito   Casual [Nov 29, 2003]
    Strength:

^

^

When I paid $200 for this lens I thought this was too good to be true, so I used it for a few months trying to find out what gives. It covers a wide range (28-300), eliminating the need for several lenses. The advantage of convenience is huge. It is very compact at 28mm, but gets long fast, and can be hard to hold steady at 300mm. It is also a bit on the heavy side. The overall workmanship is good, I never found anything to complain about. The lensmount is metal, I happen to like that. Use the zoom lock or it will creep. I found the optics to be clear and very sharp at all ranges, just like Sigma is expected be. You should be able to shoot as fast as 1/2000 @ 5.6 in bright sunlight on 100 ISO film. Well...that's where the fun ends. The optical quality of the lens is compromised to allow for the long range. All images get very noticeable barrel distortion at almost any length. If you are shooting wildlife or people it may not be a problem, but try architecture (or anything straight) and you are in trouble. It is clearly visible, I kid you not, I didn't have to use any tools to find it. Also, vignetting at extreme ranges shows up unpredictably, usually not enough to ruin a picture. The versatility of this lens, which is its primary advantage, is defeated by the barrel distortion. This makes it very hard to rely on in all situations. In all other ways its a quality product. It may just be near perfect for amateurs who like to travel and aren't willing to spend a lot of money.

Terence   Beginner [Sep 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Convenience lens Low Price with reasonable quality Really Sharp images at small Aperture Good for taking portrait photos(tender tone, soft skin) while to use big Aperture.

Four sides of this lens is sub-average level. No image stablizier.

Actually, after I bought my first AFD-SLR, I picked up the Sigma 28~300HZ. This lens wasn't great or inputs very bad results such as distortion blur and so on.However, When I took it on the wedding day, I found out that it worked fine with external flash, especially "the small aperture" The images were sharp and colorful enough as I expected even zoom out to 300mm. Here is some tips. Using tripods or monopods with this lens is always better than hand held. When you zoom it to 300mm, choosing small aperture is necessary, F7 or smaller because I still discoverd some photos underF6.3 and 300mm were a little bit blur. Because of 1.5x of S2Pro, it crops the center,so the images do not have serious distortion, but it must happen on the full fram camera. This lens is good for travelling and using on ASP side D-SLR. The center of Sigma lens is cool~ Proof: http://dcfever.com/photosharing/enlargephoto.php?photoID=95316

Flint   Intermediate [Aug 09, 2003]
    Strength:

-good weight -sharp pictures -Good AF -great range -Great value for the money

None yet. I am a realist. The lens gave me more than I expected. I'm happy.

I have read these other reviews and I guess I must have gotten a fabulous lens. I have taken three weddings where I was the paid photographer and was paid for my work. I also took this lens to Hawaii and took pictures of a crater at dawn. I use a D100 body. What a great lens! The pictures are sharp, detailed, good color. The range of the lens is perfect for a "day" shoot. I had the 28-200 before this one but it just wasn't long enough. This is a great lens! Do I have better lenses in my bag--you bet. Did they cost three to four times as much as this lens--absolutely! You will get great value for your lens money here. If you have any basic skills in photography this lens will not disappoint.

Never used

Similar Products Used: Nikon 70-300 Nikon 24-85 Sigma 50-500 (another awesome lens)
    candrask   Intermediate [Aug 04, 2003]
    Strength:

Good build

Optically poor, even stoppes down.

Let's get right to it. This lens is very poor wide open to just OK when stopped down. Contrast and sharpness are lacking. Build quality is good though and focusiing was fine.

none

tasso   Intermediate [Jul 29, 2003]
    Strength:

nothing

that i bought it

I you have the change. Walk away from this lens. It is really terrible. No sharp shot white this lens. I tryt everything no zoom a litle zoom all aperture from f3.5 to f22. Nothing changes. Trow a little more money to it. And you get a beter lens

Similar Products Used: sigma 105 ex macro canon 28-135 is usm. sigma 120-300 ex
    boothill66   Expert [Jul 14, 2003]
    Strength:

The Price. The Zoom. You can impress your friends who don't know anything about cameras.

Stiff spots when zooming. Sloppy manual focus. You have to hide it from your friends who know about cameras.

I bought this lens because I just got the Canon 10D and I thought I would only have to buy this one lens. I am writing this while I’m shopping for a new lens. If the $209.00 I spent for this stretched my budget I would be delighted. It is in every way worth that and then some. If I had a lesser camera this is the only lens I would want but it doesn’t feel right on the D10. Having a digital SLR I don’t want to be changing lenses often especially in dirty environments so I guess I’ll be keeping and getting some use out of this one. The Zoom is fantastic, when you are in a dynamic shooting situation having this may save some missed shots not having to change lenses. The focus is ok as long as there is enough light and detail. If not it will not even get close, it focuses through the full range then stops. The image quality is ok and I do like the macro mode on a lens that big. Any pictures of it shows how small it is, but beware, it’s over 8 inches long fully extended with the hood on. This makes it shaky at 300mm, if you try to balance it with your other hand you will be holding the focus ring which will try to turn in your hand. This might jam or burn out the motor. The review doesn’t sound great but don’t be fooled. When you figure that it will cost about $1600.00 to replace this with a Canon lens it is a great deal and a great lens for the money but don’t expect to be getting a $1600.00 lens.

Haven't had to call them yet but my order was in my home town in 24 hours when they promised 5 to 7 days. I was impressed.

Similar Products Used: Olympus E10 Sony DSC-707
    RayR0041   Intermediate [Jun 16, 2003]
    Strength:

covers a wide range

Read the summary

I purchased the sigma 28-300MM lens about one month ago thinking that it would be a good all around lens. Well I was wrong. It was performed well under what I would expect from a sigma product. The color match to the subject matter is poor to be nice. I tried other lens and they were fine. I tried all kinds of light too and it did not matter. The image quality was also lacking at the 200-300mm range. At first I figures it was me not holding the camera still enough. So out came the tripod and 50 pictures later the verdict was in. It’s not me. The pictures are soft and blurred. No the top of the cake comes yesterday when I was taking pictures of my kids on the beach and I noticed the lens move in a way its not supposed to. When I checked it out I noticed that the plastic that holds the mounting ring was split. That could have caused the trouble from the beginning. I have only had this lens for a few weeks now and I sent it back to sigma as it has not been dropped or miss used in that short time. They have informed me that its not covered. Great. Well at least I only lost $250.00 on this. In closing I have to say it has been a let down since I have other sigma lens that have performed beyond what I was expecting, but not this one. Stay away from this one.

Poor, very disapointing