Tamron AF200-400mm F/5.6 LD (IF) 35mm Zoom

Tamron AF200-400mm F/5.6 LD (IF) 35mm Zoom

Take beautiful shots of wildlife and get in all the action of sports with this lens that utilizes the highest level of design technology which allows it to be just 178mm (7.0"") in total length yet maintain a constant F/5.6 aperture. When focusing, the lens length doesn't change and the front element stays stationary due to an Internal Focusing mechanism which minimizes corner vignetting and distortion, for sharp images from corner to corner.

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 08, 2014]
Paul

Strength:

Ease of operation

Weight

I have a Tamron AF200-400mm F/5.6 LD (IF) 35mm Zoom on my 35mm camera. I would like to switch to a digital camera and would like to continue using the Len. Is there a camera with witch it would attach and operate?

[Nov 01, 2010]
Darren Brown
Intermediate

Strength:

Ultra sharp at F8. Built like a tank! Simplistic and yet a beautiful lens.

Not ultra sharp at F5.6

I honestly love my Tamron AF 200-400mm LD (IF). I purchased a very clean/mint copy. My daily-carry lens leaves off at 200mm, so this picks up at that mark and that's perfect for me.
F5.6 across the board is awesome. Thought it's not spot-on sharp at F5.6. At F8 it's sharp, very sharp.
I have some examples on my flickr site.
www.flickr.com/photos/dbdigital/

Nikon 70-300
Tamron 70-300

[Sep 04, 2007]
donanto
Intermediate

Strength:

inexpensive, light enough, great colors

not work for indoor and night photos

very nice bokeh for inexpensive lens. works great for outdoor photos in daylight till almost dawn. I often pairs this tube with my Nikon d50 for covering outdoor events. Push-pull like Nikkor type indeed giving me advantages to capture the object expressions. superb colors for people photos

[May 19, 2005]
ccraft
Intermediate

Strength:

Inexpensive, great for wildlife

needs to be sunny, not as good hand-held

I'm really enjoying this lens. The f stop prevents me from really using it too much in dark sitations, but it's a great sunny day lens. I find you need to make sure the apature is at around f8 to ensure sharp enough details in your shot. Also, it's quite heavy and should be used with a tripod. I've taken a few hand-held shots with it and had okay results though. You can see samples of shots taken with this lens at the following address: http://www.pbase.com/ccraft/tamron_af_200400mm_56_ld_if_

Sigma 70-300mm Nikkor 80-200mm

[Jul 29, 2003]
danwhite
Expert

Strength:

Color Nice range 200-400

Images a little soft, not crisp.

This is the longest lens I have bought. Expected much more from it than it was able to produce. I mainly used Provia slide film. Was able to get good color, but on the ducks and geese in water I shot, could not get the crisp images I was looking for at 400mm. 200mm was better. I decided to sell and am now looking for possibly a Sigma 135-400mm. Would like to go with the Canon L series but $$. I use a Canon Elan 7 body.

not used

Tamron 70-300mm

[May 16, 2003]
PATT TEERAPAT
Professional

Strength:

price and shapness

brand name is sound not very popular for the one who think that it's too cheap

good picture make a good photographer! I use this with nikon D100 ! the djgital picture have to be improve the color with software anyway, thus no problem about color, the shapness of the picture is unbelieveable!!! it beat nikor 80-400VR away! compare by super ZOOM in photoshop at 400%

nikkor 80-400 VR

[May 05, 2003]
Robin
Professional

Strength:

Inexpensive, light weight, nice tripod colar

Focus is soft even w/ tripod, lens does not feel solid, slow f/stop, lens zoom position can change due to gravity.

Nice compact lens but image quality is only fair at 400mm. I'm still looking for a solid, lightweight zoom that I can hike with that does not weigh alot and has excellent image quality.

Never needed any

300mm f/2.8S Nikon, Tokina and Nikon 80-200 f/2.8.

[Feb 22, 2003]
rca8733
Expert

Strength:

PRICE!! Great sharp photos, truly compatible with EOS systems, unlike other independent manufactures.

Weight(if your climbing MT.Everest)Hood is a bit cumbersome, use manual focus for critical low light situations.

LOOK AT IT THIS WAY!...Is it worth $1,000-$5,000 for one, two, or three stops of light? How many of you photographers out there have ever taken a shot using full wide open lens? Use a very good tripod, try to keep your shutter speed the same as the focal length but don't be afraid to go slower with the right equipment, and bracket for insurance. This lens, for me anyway, has performed flawless and I have produced outstanding photographs with it. Not by my standards only, but from the clients I have sold some photos to. You can pick this lens up now, on ebay for less than $350.00. It has IF (interanl focus), LD, fast AF although it will hunt in real low light, but manual focus is a breeze. Strong, and YES it is on the heavy side, but well balanced. I highly recommend this lens if your looking for a long zoom and can't justify the thousands of dollars for OEM lenses. Remember also, it's not the equipment that makes a great photograph but the person behind the camera. Expose properly, use a good tripod and this lens will cover all but the most demanding long range shots. What else do you want?

I own three Tamron lenses and have never needed their service.

Canon EF 300 2.8L IS- Rented only Canon EF 600 4L IS USM - Rented only Tamron AF 500 4 IF LD - Borrowed

[Feb 19, 2002]
rodskogj
Intermediate

Strength:

Good zoom range makes wildlife photography much easier. Good sharp pictures. If you want a good 400mm but not a second mortgage, this is the one.

It''s slow. Use a good tripod and fast(er) film and it will do you well. Autofocus is a bit slow, but a faster body will compensate nicely making speed pretty good (I use the Maxxum 7 body). I would not recomend this lense with a slow body, that may be to painfull.

This is not a point-and-shoot lense. No 400mm lense is point-and-shoot. If you use a tripod this lense will give you great sharp pictures. Sure, there are better lenses out there (APO), but unless you win the lottery that is not an option.

[Jan 07, 2002]
JerryDJ
Professional

Strength:

Cheap and reliable. I shoot photos every day and sometimes in my sleep. hehehehehe

Heavy like a brick, sometimes I''d love to throw it at people but the cost factor makes that impossible.

At 5.6 this lens has done nearly impossible shots for me. Concerts with no lighting (Janet Jackson) (Luther Vandross) (Backstreet Boys) and many more. It is a heavy lens which takes some time to get used to. I personally hate using a monopod unless there is nothing left but do hook it up. Using it handheld has not been too much of a problem at 200, higher zooms with low light make tripod or monopod come out of my bag real quick. Check out my stuff at http://www.clevelandtour.com

Tamron always has friendly service and quick return from rebates.

I still don''t own the Minolta 200 APO lens because everyone on eBay gets crazy when good glass is up for bid.