B+W Polarizers Filters

Polarizers

Used to increase color saturation and reduce reflections. Available in four versions:

• B+W Top Polarizer (Linear)
  • B+W Circular Polarizer
  • B+W Kaesemann Polarizer
  • B+W Warm Tone Polarizer

• User Reviews (14)

Volkan   Intermediate [Sep 13, 2010]

I have B+W 58mm Circular Polarizer Filter, - but not MRC

Now I understand I made a mistake not purchasing MRC.

This filter creates blue tint over my photoes, from RGB Histogram this can be observed.

It is ruining all my photoes, and any photo I have taken wih this filter have to pass software colour correction.

the blue tint is not appearing when I do not use this filter or My ex Kenko brand filter.

I am very disappointed with this product and will thow it away

Similar Products Used: Kenko filter, much much better results.
    Adrian E   Intermediate [Jun 20, 2004]
    Strength:

Great build quality, smooth ring, easy to use (WYSIWYG as with all circpols), great color and contrast enhancer.

Price, vignetting at ultrawide (17mm), prone to smudging, thick (eats f-stops).

I bought the b+w F-PRO version (circular polarizer, 77mm). I use it on my EF 17-40 f/4L to accentuate landscape shots. So far, I love it. Makes colors more saturated, gets rid of reflections and other disturbing elements concerning light and color. It's a bit prone to smudging (when reaching for the ring when looking trough the viewfinder)

None required to date.

Similar Products Used: Tiffen and Hoya Polarizers
    sieracki001   Intermediate [Feb 23, 2003]
    Strength:

Mounts are brass. Glass is exceptional.

Price. As always you need to pay for what you get.

I own a 62mm B&W circular polarizer that I use on my Olympus E 20 digital camera. I use this filter a lot. Most often, I am shooting landscapes. Everyone knows a CP filter is a good idea. Why get a B&W? Quality. I've read other reviews that seem to indicate a quality problem. I have had no such experience. Heliopans are good too. No doubt some like Hoya too. Tiffen makes a less quality filter but they can do the job. It goes drastically downhill from there. What to look for in a filter? Precise machining of the threads. Glass that will clean up without difficulty. In the case of a CP, which needs to be rotated on the lens, smooth operation. Something that sticks will infuriate you. If you can't get quality, in my opinion, don't use a filter for shots. They are OK for protection.

Not needed.

Similar Products Used: Tiffens and Hoyas.
    E G Simon   Intermediate [Jan 22, 2003]
    Strength:

Well built (quality manufacturing threads, rings, Schott glass)

None perceived. Price? You paid what you get.

Over the years, I have had a chance to buy/use/evaluate various brands (all high quality) : B+W, Nikon's, Hoya ... I have NEVER been disappointed buying B+W (twelve different models, size 52 and 77mm, mostly MRC type). Coupling some to my Hasselblad lenses or Nikon's with "step up" rings. I enjoy using them in various kind of outdoor projects.

Not needed, yet (more than 3 years use)

Similar Products Used: Nikon (several), Hoya (just a few)
    fk2001   Intermediate [Jan 17, 2003]
    Strength:

Smooth turns

See review

This review is for the B+W 58mm Circular Polarizer (MRC) This is the worst piece of junk I have ever bought. After a month some sort of oil or grease started leaking from the filter, which contaminated the glass. I got the filter exchanged. The second one was in very poor shape on arrival. The coating was very uneven and I even saw small holes where it looked like the coating was missing. In fact I could see the uneven coating through the matte box the filter came in. Fingerprints seem to be hard to remove from this filter as well. So much for $93.50. Perhaps I was unlucky to get two defective filters, however I think B+W needs a better quality control. I will not recommend B+W’s polarizers to anyone. I have the B+W UV filter (MRC) as well. This filter does not have any of the above problems.

Phantom   Casual [May 09, 2002]
    Strength:

Schott glass brass ring smooth rotation comes with storage box and lense cap

Not cheap for 77mm

This review is for B+W''''s 77 mm slim circular polarizer. It is not the MRC (multicoated scratch-resistant) one, however, I believe it is mono coated on each side. I ordered this and a heliopan slim polarizer (mono-coated) and shot a roll of film using both to see which one was better. My initial observations were that the B+W is about a mm thinner. The heliopan felt sturdier and more solid in my hand, although both are very well crafted and rotate smoothly. I really prefer the brass rings on these compared to the aluminum ones found on Hoya fliters. The B+W comes with a plastic filter cover, which is a big plus. The heliopan has numbered markings around the rotating ring to measure/guide the amount of polarization. I didn''''t have a problem removing fingerprints from either filter. On print film, both polarizers noticably sharpened my photos. The heliopan seemed to have a little warmer tint, and the B+W a cooler one, with slightly truer colors. Both had the same amount of glare when shot directly into the sun. The B+W vignetted around 20mm and the heliopan around 21-22. The B+W has just a hair lighter and more neutral gray. In the end, I kept the B+W just because of the very slight edge in truer color. I don''''t think you can go wrong with either of these quality polarizers. Both are made with Schott glass and solid brass rings, and will improve the crispness of your photos dramatically.

Similar Products Used: Hoya Thin UV
    dennis   Intermediate [Jan 08, 2002]
    Strength:

excellent polarization high quality glass brass mount (non-slim filter) and overall build. note: I once dropped a heavy macro lens from waste high on to pavement. The glass cracked, but this filter saved my expensive marco lens from any damage.

slim filter. Avoid the slim! quite expensive-- is the price justified?

This is a top-notch polarizer, although I can''t detect any differences between the B+W and Tiffen models I own. The Tiffen is more reasonaly priced. It''s also seems to be better than the HOYA, which I''ve also tried. A plus for the B+W is the solid construction (non-slim version only), especially the Kaesemann version. Used properly, this filter on a regular consumer zoom lens can create great-looking, saturated prints. I haven''t noticed any discoloration with this filter. Beware the "slim" version of th B+W polarizer! I owned one, briefly. The glass fell out of the brass mount within days of using it. Boy, that was money down the drain. To the reviewer who found cleaning this filter a hassle, try a chemical pen (the one with the felt tip). This works for the tough-to-clean spots. I then use a lens cloth to remove the residue left behind by the pen (looks like black dust)

n/a

Similar Products Used: Tiffen
    Roger Goebig   Intermediate [Sep 25, 2001]
    Strength:

Good name, optical quality seems to be o.k., nothing else :O((

Heavy Vignetting up to 40 mm on Canon 8-105, ultra scratch sensitive coating, ruggish rotating, loose ring, expensive.

I have the B+W Circpol 58mm ES coated. It is build not very well, rotating scratches but the ring is even too loose. I scratched the lens by a very smooth cleaning with blowing any dust away before using cloth. Vignetting is very heavy on my Canon EF 28-105. It''s noticeable up to 40 mm !!! I can only warn to buy the normal version for use on a zoom like 28-... I''m going to sell it and try to get a slimline version. I''ve read on www.schneiderkreuznach.com that they have a brand new design since September 01. There is no more E or ES type, just one design for one diameter. Maybe better !

Similar Products Used: None
    RD Kenwood   Intermediate [Jan 31, 2001]
    Strength:

Brass ring spins onto any lens. I had a problem with Tiffens binding in my 24-120 (which has polycarbonate threads), and the B+W solves that problem! Of course, it created another one (see "weaknesses").

Nice, neutral color. (Many cheapo pols introduce a color cast - for example, I've seen some Tiffens that didn't seem too neutral to my eye,)

Thick ring. I've never seen thicker, even on two-element apochromatic diopers. The result was vignetting for sure on my 24-120 at the wider focal lengths - which is not a problem in real life because if you polarize 24mm, you'll get uneven polarization because of the wide field of view.

It weighs a ton too.

OK, it's the Rolls-Royce of filters. So, it's made of top-notch materials, everything works with a silky smoothness, it'll last forever, and it's outrageously expensive. Is a B+W worth 4x the price of a Tiffen? Is a Rolls-Royce worth 8x the price of a Toyota? It depends on what you value. I suspect that some of the difference lies in intangibles.

Not needed.

Similar Products Used: Nikon, some Heliopan, Hoya, Tiffen.
    Irakly Shanidze   Expert [Jan 31, 2001]
    Strength:

Incredibly high optical and built quality. Brass mount means that the filter does not stick dead to a lens barrel, so you don't need rubber gloves to take it off. Filter name and type is written on the front ring, so filters are very easily identifiable in filter holder pockets.

outrageously expensive, frather thick (I have never seen one in a slim mount so forget about mounting one on a 17mm lens.

Buy it if you can justify the price or if you can afford it without justification :-) This stuff is expensive, but worth every penny. Build quality speaks for itself. Optical quality is a different matter, though, because one can see a real difference only with high quality lenses ie Carl Zeiss or Canon L. So, the bottom line is: you won't benefit from it with consumer grade glass.

did not need