Heliopan Circular Polarizers Filters

Available At:
Circular Polarizers

Used to increase color saturation and minimize reflections and glare.

User Reviews (9)

Lthlwpn1979   Intermediate [Apr 21, 2005]
Strength:

Solid construction, very nice glass, ring numbered for polarizing level, case is protective.

More expensive than most, but you get what you pay for.

After using Tiffen and Hoya filters I decided to go for quality and I don't regret it. The Ziess glass and brass rings are top quality and produce fine results. The ring on the CP is numbered to provide a marker for the level of polarization effect the filter has at that point. The construction is very sturdy (I got the filter stuck on a lens with damaged threading, scratched the paint getting it off but the filter still works like new). Now I only buy Heliopan unless I can't find what I'm looking for, then I go with B+W. The padding in the case keeps the filter from shaking around, which is nice when I go hiking.

Not needed.

Similar Products Used: Hoya, Tiffen
Available At:
Doug Andrews   Expert [Jan 16, 2004]
Strength:

Build quality Brass ring Graduated markings Excellent coating process Smooth operation when turning

A little pricey

I'm convinced Heliopan make the best filters in the business. I started out with Tiffen, then tried B+W, and finally settled on Heliopan. Build quality is second to none. The brass ring is great, no binding. Much smoother in operation than B+W. Their coating process is better than B+W, no speckles or swirl marks. Graduated markings on the ring are great for pre-setting the amount of polarization. Flare, what flare. Pricey but worth it.

Similar Products Used: Tiffen B+W
rayrobinson   Expert [Aug 01, 2003]
Strength:

Schott (Carl Zeiss) glass. Brass rings. Rings are marked in numbers to represent amount/degree of polarization.

NONE

Finally got around to replacing my big 77mm polarizer with this gem available in slim mount from Heliopan. I am completely convinced that this is the finest circular polarizer available. Sharp as a razor with very true color rendition. did notice a very very slight warm tone that I like for my type of photography. Does not vignette with my 18mm lens!! From now on I will never again consider a filter from another manufacturer. These are truly the best available.

Very Friendly

Similar Products Used: Nikon, Hoya, Tiffen, Sunpak
Lthlwpn1979   Intermediate [Jul 21, 2003]
Strength:

Solid construction Markings on outer ring Solid cases

none

The Heliopan CP is an extreamly fine piece of gear. It has solid construction and rotates smoothly. The outer ring has markings to indicate the level darkening you want, which is a great bonus because you can tell what the filter's set at by looking at the ring. The filter cases are sturdy and have good padding.

Not needed

Similar Products Used: Hoya Tiffen
rbuckman   Intermediate [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

brass threads thin..low profile scale markings Schott Glass (German)

none

I bought the Heliopan circular pol for my Nikon N80 and an upcoming trip to Alaska. I shot mainly negative film (prints) and the end result was everything I was hoping for in a polarizer. The contrast and colors of the pictures through Glacier Bay and College fjord turned out perfect and I'm happy that I bought a Heliopan. It's an outstanding filter.

not used

Phantom   Casual [May 09, 2002]
Strength:

crispness of photos color saturation comes with case not too bad a price relative to other 77mm polarizers schott glass brass rings

This review is for Heliopan''s 77 mm slim circular polarizer. It is mono-coated on each side. I ordered this and a B+W slim polarizer (mono-coated) and shot a roll of film using both to see which one was better. My initial observations were that the B+W is about a mm thinner. The heliopan felt sturdier and more solid in my hand, although both are very well crafted and rotate smoothly. I really prefer the brass rings on these compared to the aluminum ones found on Hoya fliters. The heliopan has numbered markings around the rotating ring to measure/guide the amount of polarization. The B+W comes with a plastic filter cover, which is a big plus. I didn''t have a problem removing fingerprints from either filter. On print film, both polarizers noticably sharpened my photos. The heliopan seemed to have a little warmer tint, and the B+W a cooler one, with slightly truer colors. Both had the same amount of glare when shot directly into the sun. The B+W vignetted around 20mm and the heliopan around 21-22. The B+W has just a hair lighter and more neutral gray. In the end, I kept the B+W just because of the very slight edge in truer color. I don''t think you can go wrong with either of these quality polarizers. Both are made with Schott glass and solid brass rings, and will improve the crispness of your photos dramatically.

Similar Products Used: B+W polarizer Hoya Thin UV
fastest   Casual [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

optically great.

as stated in summary

I have a 95mm circular polariser to fit on my 85 series Hi-Tech system.A great filter,top results,though the "twisting" action isn`t the smoothest I should imagine.

Steve Zimmerman   Intermediate [Feb 06, 2001]
Strength:

Slim mount, does not vignette even with my 17-35 @ 17mm. Once shot with 2 Heliopan filters by mistake and no vignetting. Brass mount, solid construction, German made. Have used The Nikon polarizer and it was big and was not able to use with lens shade. Have no problem with the Heliopan.

None that I am aware of. Have used this filter over 1 year. The filter is 77mm and the price reflects the size of the filter.

I own a number of Heliopan filters. They are the only one's that I use. Excellent quality for the money. Purchase them @ B&H for a good price and they have them in stock!

Similar Products Used: Hoya
Sunpak
Nikon
Richard Saylor   Expert [Mar 14, 2001]
Strength:

Extremely effective polarization. (Mine is a 46mm linear polarizer.)

None. A linear polarizer may confuse the autofocus on some cameras. Consult your camera manual.

I got this filter to use with a Leica M6 as well as an Olympus C-3000Z using appropriate step-up rings. It is, of course, slightly inconvenient to use with the M6, but it works extremely well with the C-3000Z in conjunction with the LCD monitor.

N/A