Hasselblad CFI f/4 120mm Medium Format

CFI f/4 120mm

User Reviews (8)

Daryl Ovadia   Intermediate [Aug 08, 2010]
Strength:

Macro

Distance

As a macro lens it's sharpness is unsurpassed. The lens is equally sharp from f4 until the smallest stop when it becomes diffraction limited. I've never seen a lens perform so well across the entire aperture range. Focused at infinity it is okay but not nearly as sharp as macro, I am not sure where the transition is. Zeiss also made a 120mm Apo-Makro for the Contax 645 system that excels at both macro and infinity, overall a superb lens that is versatile but it doesn't perform well across the entire aperature range. The 120 Hasselblad could be combined with the superb 100mm f3.5 that is tack sharp at infinity down to 1m.

Similar Products Used: 120mm Apo-Makro in the Contax 645 Mount
Canon 100mm EF Macro
Karl Winkler   Expert [Feb 10, 2003]
Strength:

Image quality, construction, long-term value.

Doesn't focus as closely as I'd hoped, even with 55mm extension tube. Expensive.

I mainly purchased this lens (CFi version) for portrait work and macro photography with my 503cw, but I've found that it is a SUPERB short telephoto. No question that it is incredibly sharp at focal distances much farther than I'd originally thought. The textural quality of the images, the color rendition, the lack of distortion and the even illumination all spell "classic Zeiss". This is a great lens, no doubt.

Not yet used.

Similar Products Used: Olympus 50mm f/3.5 macro lens, 85mm f/2.8 portrait lens, Zeiss 90mm f/2.8 "G" lens.
Payam Rahimian   Professional [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

Razor Sharp...watch out "MOCH 3" Light and easy to use

Umm...I BEG YOUR PARDON ????

Yeeeah BABY...this is such an amazing lens. As you can determine I have high regards for this sharp and ultra versatile lens. My work is primarily portrait centered and this lens is used 90% of the time as the angle of view and its capability for close focusing make it my choice.

Similar Products Used: cfi 50 cb 80
Nathan Wong   Professional [Aug 03, 2000]
Strength:

Very sharp from 1:1 with extension tubes to infinity. I own the CF version (essentially the same as the CFE) and it isn't optimized for infinity, but I shot a rooftop scene and I was able to pick out individual bricks in a building that was more than a mile away. The close focusing ability is second to none.

Relatively slow (f/4 is slow to me).

An excellent lens whether it's your first lens or your last. The versitility is second to none and the sharpness is fantastic. It's definitely as sharp as my 85mm Nikkor lens and medium format lenses aren't suppose to be as sharp as 35mm.

When my blades got messed up, Hasselblad fixed them up within a week.

Similar Products Used: 60mm
armando conti   Expert [Apr 26, 2000]
Model Reviewed: CFI f/4 120mm
Strength:

Nice close focusing distance.

Not super sharp at infinity, which is not really a weakness but a characteristic of a lens optimized for closer use.

The macro name may mislead some folks, this is not a high magnification lens. It is simply optimized for closer use, but the 135 should be used for maximum sharpness of true macro work, 1 to 1 or greater.

This lens is amazing at portraiture, and is still fantastic at distances of 20 or 30 feet.

Anything I have ever taken at 3 to 20 feet has simply stunned me. The sharpness and uniformity of image is wonderful. There are some lenses that look sharp, but not natural. This lens looks incredibly sharp at close distances, yet very natural.

The background blur is also beautiful. Natural, not edgy. If you shoot at the above mentioned distances and the field of view of a 120 would be good for you, you would love this lens.

Never used.

Similar Products Used: Hass 50, 80, 100,150, 180, 250, 250 SA lenses.
Remigiusz Kaniuk   Professional [Feb 19, 2000]
Model Reviewed: CFI f/4 120mm
Strength:

The sharpest lens I ever had, very good in colour photography. Macro facility helps you to wide exploration of photographic themes.

N/A

I'm very pleased to use it.

N/A

Similar Products Used: Not applicable. I don't think, I can find any similar lens.
Joss Gerard   Professional [Apr 15, 2001]
Strength:

Super sharp, super angle(in 6x6) for most studio, beauty and fashion work

excuse me??

As a proff. fashion also doing a lot of close up beauty/portrait pictures I came to the ultimate conclusion towards H´blad lenses, this lens beats all of them in the same angle of vw. catagory.. sorry! but..! Put a 11x14 print shot with a 135mm macro 67 pentax or other and a 120 H`blad next to eachother and SEE the difference.You´ll even drive a cab in NY to get the extra cash for the H´Blad lens. Forget about the 150 CFI good; but not as good as .., buy the 120 instead, then go for the 180 and the 50 CFI lenses, and you´ll own the best of the rest. Owwwh Yeah the CFi were talking about here.NOT the old 120 ies...

good

Similar Products Used: Pentax 67 & 645, Mamiya RZ and Contax 645 AF.
Arnaldo Burgos   Professional [Nov 02, 1999]
Model Reviewed: CFI f/4 120mm
Strength:

Incredibly sharp lens, used primaraly in studio situations. "Makro" focusing distance is useful for smaller studios. Helps me produce really world class images

None.

Very expensive, but worth every penny.

So far so good.

Similar Products Used: None.