Gitzo G1349 Mountaineer Inter Pro Studex Tripods

G1349 Mountaineer Inter Pro Studex

Carbon fiber tripod for use with heavy 35mm and medium format cameras

User Reviews (6)

rwhitten   Expert [Feb 20, 2003]
Strength:

Strength, height and (relatively) low weight

A bit bulky but I don't care. Expensive? You get what you pay for.

What a tripod! This is THE tripod for serious outdoor use, significantly better than the shorter carbon tripods from Gitzo because if you're working on uneven ground the extra leg length is essential. I've never used the full leg length indoors even though I'm 6'3" (190cm) tall but in the mountains it gets used often. I'm sure plenty of people don't buy this tripod because they think they don't need the height but they'd be wrong if they shoot outdoors alot. What else can I say? For it's weight it's incredibly sturdy and tall. I'm only using a Nikon FE2 with light lenses so I don't really need it's sturdiness but I sure appreciate it. It's tough too. I had it one the outside of my pack during a multiday hike when the pack (40 pounds - 20kg) fell over onto some rocks. Damage? Some very light scratching and no more. Re the leg locks - I find them very easy to use. Overall - easily the best tripod I've ever used.

Similar Products Used: Benbo 1 - versatile but heavy Gitzo 126 - light but small Various Manfrottos/Bogens
Ed Hassell   Professional [Feb 23, 2000]
Model Reviewed: G1349 Mountaineer Inter Pro Studex
Strength:

Light, versatile, strong, easily extensible.

Expensive.

The absolute best standard style tripod I've ever owned. If you are serious about photography and in need of a serious tripod that will most probably be your primary tripod for the rest of your life, this is the one.

No experience.

Similar Products Used: Bogen, Cullmann, Tiltall, UniLok, Slik, others.
tom barron   Professional [Sep 29, 2000]
Strength:

1. easy and fast to operate
2. holds lens and camera rock steady
3. should last a long time
4. lighter than comparable models

none!

greatest tripod ever
great dealer who hasn't let me down ever

1. very good, better than most
2. doesn't "jerk" you around
3. reputable, forthright, honest

Similar Products Used: manfrotto
slik
chris c   Intermediate [Jan 18, 2001]
Strength:

Weight build quality studiness

none

unbelivable build qaulity. Onc you handle this you will hae trouble using anything else.

have not used

Similar Products Used: bogen carbon 1 440 Gitzo 1227
Olsen Tom Just   Casual [Jun 05, 2001]
Strength:

Light!
Sturdy!
Handy!
Steady!
Absolutely 'dead' even in strong wind.

This is the best tripod I have ever had!

THE Rolls Royce of the tripods!

The price! (Help!)
Carbon fibers lasts 'forever' if it is kept out of sunshine. Keep it in a dark place when not in use.

This is THE tripod heavy-tele 135 and medium format work. Don't underestimate what capacity you will be needing when you work with long teles which pushes the center of gravety far outside the ball head. I use mine together with EOS3 and a 300mm/2,8L + x1,4 and x2 converters and a Hasselblad up to 250 mm/5,6.

Birds and wildlife. Have taken some breathtaking fine pictures this spring, - which I owe to this fine tripod, which:

Is a joy to bring along (among birdwatchers; like rolling your new Ferrari into a fuel stop)

So light (simply unbelievable!) that you can easily bring it along with heavy equipment.

Easy 'handle' in difficult terrain even with long and heavy teles.

I use mine with the G1276 quick release head to 'keep things simple' and light. You tighten the 'screw' lightly with two fingers even with a 2,55 kg 300mm lense plus a 1,3 kg camera with winder! No joke!

Excellent, but never needed.

Sales effort by importer in Norway; 'very slow-assed'. Can I get the distributor contract for Scandinavia? Then you'll see!