Manfrotto 3021 Tripod Legs Tripods

Manfrotto 3021 Tripod Legs Tripods

One of the most versatile and popular tripods in the Manfrotto range. This renewed version is lightweight and portable enough to take in the field, yet strong enough for a medium format camera.

• Anodized aluminum
  • Max height: 70.1 inches
  • Collapsed length: 24.1 inches
  • Max load: 13.3 lbs
  • Four leg angle settings
  • Center column with an innovative three faced design
  • Low angle adapter built in the center column for ground level shots

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 10, 2010]
    Jozko
    Professional

Strength:

weight!! it's not supper light. at about 5 lb compare to carbon fiber (3.5 lb plus some $200 more) Smaller bottle of water in my bag make up the difference
    Ability of ground level shots!!! Decent height (I'm 5,9' shooting eye level comfortably) strong support for 35 mm SLR (Digitals are even lighter) solid strong construction dated, classic design, but still nothing better exist (it's price range )

TRUE WORKHORSE

there is no lock for legs in closed position ( hard to carry unless tied together with Velcro) Locks on the legs are noisy (not biggie,but can be annoying in some situations,so as camera's shutter can be.) center column is not very sturdy unless you apply heavy pressure on the lock ( it can be strenuous)

I have this tripod more than 25 years, and it never failed me. Together with 3025 head always performed well. I used it mostly for 35 Canons with lenses up to 200 mm occasionally I used 2x extenders with very good results ( 400mm mounted through lens collar) I noticed wind can be a issue with longer lenses (use sand bags to weight it down)

My wooden stick (Cane) and this Bogen 3021 tripod never needed service..

Majestic, a few heavier Bogens, Gitzo,Star, several cheap Agfa contraptions

[Oct 08, 2005]
    mkk
    Expert

Strength:

stability price speed

none

An excellent tripod, and great value. I use it for a manual SLR with prime lenses ranging from 24 to 2oomm, and a twin-lens reflex camera. Very stable, easy to cary (relatively speaking), and quick to set up. You have to take care not to get your skin caught in the snap-on leg locks. It can get cold in winter months, so I wrapped tennis overgrip around upper legs--works great.

[Aug 26, 2004]
    Rommie C.
    Intermediate

Strength:

Cheaper (than Gitzo) and yet adequately strong even with medium format cameras. It won't be difficult to replace it if it were lost in the field or stolen. Very versatile, adjustable for low macro shots. Good enough for portraiture in studios and outdoors.

None yet in my experience. My only concern is the leg locks can pinch your fingers if you're not extra careful.

The Bogen/Manfrotto 3021Pro tripod is stronger than I expected. I'd used it many times with medium format cameras (i.e Pentax 67II & Bronica GS-1). I have a 3001 but I prefer the 3021 in the field because its more stable against the wind and light enough for short trip backpacking when attached to a strap. If you don't mind carrying a 5lb weight then this is a good tripod for you.

None for the past 4 years of use.

Bogen 3001, Gitzo G1127 G CF, Velbons

[Dec 26, 2003]
    TwoBoy
    Expert

Strength:

Quick accurate set up and overall stability. Strength of components. Service availability if required.

Not that well assembled. I have fine tuned all the snap clips on the legs for easier use. All were over tightened in factory and now they work and feel right. Weight - maybe a bit heavy for some.

Sturdy, very stable, with easy to adjust controls. Sold here as Manfrotto 055CL. Ideal for use with my 10D and Sigma 50~500 lens. Easy, quick set-up and when used with the 3265G Pistol grip head provides a very quick and easy platform for game photography. The multi angle leg positions and quick snap leg extenders are the big benefits. You will still need the remote release for you 10D with long lenses for ideal stability.

Not needed.

Many different makes.

[Oct 29, 2003]
    Expert

Strength:

Sturdy. Good value for money. Pretty flexible for different types of shooters. accessories (spikes etc) easily available. I am 6'1" and can shoot pretty much at eye level without the center column extended. (Personally I would not use an extended center column...pretty wobbly IMHO) Good resale value.

The 3 little screws in the mounting plate are useless for my Bogen Ballhead. I have already lost a couple of them. Pretty crappy design if you ask me. The ring to hang a bag or something similar to steady the tripod is a el-cheapo key-ring type. How the hell is one supposed to get a bag on and off the thing ? I would suggest carrying a small carbiner to get your bag on and off. The leg locks are horrible...I have given myself blood blisters all over my hand. moreover they are made of plastic. Have no idea how long that will last. Pretty heavy to lug around for long periods, and the legs do not lock in the closed position. I use a large velcro strap to keep them together.

I have the 3021BPro. Nice sturdy tripod. A bit clunky. I have the black version and it seems to scratch very easily. Overall a pretty good deal for your money. I tried the 3001 but this seemed MUCH sturdier for a few bucks more.

Not used

Bogen, Gitzo, Slik

[Oct 21, 2003]
    Area51
    Intermediate

Strength:

Lateral arm capability, bubble level, low level converter included.

Leg flex, not for large telephoto lenses, loud painful leg locks.

This review is of the 3021BPro version. A decent tripod for the money. The ability to move the center column to a lateral arm is a plus. I don't care for the skin pinching leg locks, though the tripod does set up quickly. The 3021BPro isn't exactly light, but it's not too heavy either. The legs do have some flex when extended, stable for lenses up to 300mm.

Great, reponds to email inquiries quickly.

Gitzo, Velbon (junk)

[Apr 22, 2003]
    Ray Germain
    Intermediate

Strength:

very stable, quick setup

none

Great tripod 055Nat 2, I use it in conjunction with a Gitzo M1276m ball head, and a Olympus E10 SLR camera. I use this setup in swamps (setup in appx 18" water) photographing beavers in their natural habitat. This tripod not too light but very stable, especially in muddy water, and the easy setup and take down time is fast. The 055 is truly the Manfrotto workhorse.

N/A

Hbuka 1477

[Apr 18, 2003]
    Kemotex
    Expert

Strength:

stability price convenience

weight; not for continuous companionship

I have this tripod coupled with a Bogen 386RC2 head, and the two make an excellent combination. It is very sturdy for the type of equipment I have (35mm camera with relatively small prime lenses). It is relatively lightweight (about 6 pounds); good for short spans but heavy as a constant companion. It is convenient to use. I am 6'9" and can use it without extending the center column. I have also learned how to use the locks safely after getting my finger caught in it once. The quick release works smoothly. But for vertical shots with heavy lenses you may need the twist-proof quick release that Bogen makes.

[Sep 14, 2002]
    another view
    Intermediate

Strength:

Very sturdy, easy to set up, small folded size and adjustable leg angles. Nothing else really like it that I've found. About a fourth the price of a similar carbon fiber tripod.

Doesn't go very high, about 44". Relatively heavy compared to carbon fiber.

I was looking for a sturdy travel tripod - something that would fit in my duffel bag and found this one. I think that it may have been discontinued, but it was exactly what I was looking for. Sure, it's heavy, but I'll deal with the weight and have the sharp photos to prove it! It folds to about 18" without head, sets up quickly and has a two piece column. With the adjustable leg angles it will go down almost flat to the floor. The 1/4 turn leg latches seem to work well and are easy to turn - easier to work with in the cold than the small screws on the 3001.

N/A

Bogen 3001, Gitzo 1410, Gitzo carbon fiber.

[May 24, 2002]
    Smallman
    Expert

Strength:

Very strong, well made, good performance to price ratio, rigid when set up. I can set up the new model in 17 seconds without haste, and fold up in 14 seconds. The new flip action leg locks are very fast. To avoid catching a stray finger I recommend holding the tripod in the left hand then opening each flip lock with the index finger of the right hand. Close each lock with the right thumb. The tripod can be completely dismantled for cleaning and lubrication. If after years of hard use or abuse something eventually breaks, replacement parts are available and easy to fit.

Confusing nodel designations and numbers made worse by a different system of model numbers in USA compared to the rest of the world. Peruse a current catalogue before selecting your model to buy.The steel nuts and bolts in the leg lock assemblies are not stainless and will rust unless treated on purchase and about annually thereafter with an effective rust inhibitor spray such as fishoil. The new flip action leg locks can give careless fingers a nasty nip until you learn the correct way to use them.

Bogen 3021 series tripods are marketed outside USA as Manfrotto Triminor 055 series. If I had to nominate only one tripod to use for the rest of my life, this would be it. I have used an older model with split centre post for over 10 years on countless excursions into the bush and it is still going strong with leg rigidity like new. About 18 months ago I treated myself to a new 055 PRO model with the new style super quick flip action leg locks and multi position centre post. This one is even better than the original. The 055/3021 is happy with small, medium or large format cameras and at about 3.3 KG with a Super Junior 115/3028 head is just light enough to carry a fair distance. I prefer the 190/3001 model for long distance hiking however.

Good availability of spare parts in Sydney

Numerous Gitzo, Slik, Velbon and Manfrotto tripods of various sizes