Nikon N60 35mm SLRs

Nikon N60 35mm SLRs

Vacations, family events, travel, portraits, close-ups, wide shots, telephoto shots — the Nikon N60 and a high-quality Nikkor lens can handle them all. Opt for totally automatic operation and make photos with ease. Or use the N60's full set of controls for personal picture-taking pleasure and creativity.

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 17, 2017]
Wolffn
Intermediate

Strength:

It reliably takes excellent images. Solid to hold. Excellent built-in flash that I can count on to give great night time shots indoors and outdoors. I have N8008S and N65, with all their extra functions, but with an AF. D or G lens the F60 does the job with no fuss. I have read the amateurs and experts’ condescending and damning reviews including Ken Rockwell’s “run as fast as you can” report. I take no notice, Who cares how many focus points it doesn’t have if a single focus point does it well.

None that bother me.

I can rely on my F60.

N65, N6006, N8008S

[Sep 24, 2003]
Gabby Juanengo
Expert

Strength:

Easy to hold...relativeley light compared the the f100 and fm2

NO LIGHT METERING!!! on manual mode. Hard to use on manual mode. controls not well-placed

It's an OKAY camera... not as good as other nikon cameras, overall 3 out of 5

never needed cust serv yet!!!

Use the FM2 or FM3 if you want better manual performance...and the F100 if you want full auto performance...Actually i like my FM10 better than this

[Aug 14, 2003]
maurifoto
Professional

Strength:

Cheap,Dont need to worry if breaks of someone steals.Works well,batery last forever,...Works well with nice daylight situations specially shadows and black and white film.... I have taken great pictures with it.see my web page www.areilza.com

with manual focus lens NO LIGHT METER.You have to use a hand light meter-I have a sekonik dow.A little bit noise to shoot insede church.Rewind of film also noisy.Does not have 1/3 compensation but only 1/2-I do not know if this is good or bad?haha

I like the Camera since its almost as a manual focus camera but has all electronic devices to play .It works well-Mine broke the dial so I shoot in Manual all the time,thats ok-I liked best when usin 1/30 to 1/125 speed accuraccy is great.Good camera if you dont need all that silly high tech stuff for camera engenears and their mothers in law

I tried but in Spain is a pain in the neck I lost purchse tiket and they didnot want toknow anything about the camera .I had guaranty!!!!!!

seagull chinese camera-dont buy it hang yourself better.although you can use a self defense..

[Mar 20, 2003]
NikonMonkey
Expert

Strength:

Sturdy, Crisp shots, good battery life.

Fragile, easily breaks. umm besides that happening great camera, but there has been know to break this way, its a defect but if it does break dont fix it, not worth it.

This camera was great when i first got it. Took clean and crisp shots, i loved how it sounded. It was all around and easy to use camera. I had it for a little more than a year and one day the auto focus broke and Nikon WANTED $135 to fix it!

Very rude, inconsiderate. Wanted to charge me the same amout to fix it as much as i paid for it.

Now i have the N80, ITS GREAT! i would recomend spend the extra money and get the N80.

[Oct 21, 2002]
amitpan
Intermediate

Strength:

Price Good Feel and Looks Powerful Built in flash with a good GN Preset programs. Very easy to use.

No Cable Release No Spot metering. No ISO setting

This is a very good camera for a beginner.I bought it when I decided to go from point and shoot cameras to SLR. I chose N60 as it was the least expensive.I have tried all kinds of lights and exposures and the pictures were phenomenal ( except the ones which were messed up by me).I would recommend to but a good lens with this and get rid of the Plastic lens that comes with it. As my skills are growing in photography I do feel that I should upgrade to another Nikon N90 or higher.I would still like to keep my N60 though.

Good.

None

[Jul 05, 2002]
brock litton
Professional

Strength:

its a point and shoot that gets the job done

for the price you get what ya pay for its pretty bare bones

bought the camera about 6 years ago when i just had gotten into photography...it has served its purpose very well and even though i have moved to the n90s i will keep this camera...some of the reviews that ive read said no cable release..who cares just put it on self timer and bulb...same thing

none

none

[Jun 15, 2002]
glowbug
Intermediate

Strength:

All black, uses CR123, cheapest decent body, stiff metal innards,discreet sound "chlock, whirrrr",quick decisive AF,Matrix metering (Yes!), ergonomics excellent. Very good build. Low cost- no worry everyday camera. get a decent lens!

Sturdy, but somewhat heavy (solid), no flash compensation- I will tape paper to reduce flash power for fill flash. Low light AF illimunation is too bright. No grippy surface on back.

Okay, I'm not on crack, here's my review: I bought the N60QD because it was the cheapest ALL Black somewhat modern AF body. I wanted something simple and stealth- it actually looks pretty cute and compact, but feels very comfortable- if not somewhat large, but grippy. I used to have an N70 and an N80, but those both cost significantly more and has features I never used. The N65 uses tiny Cr2 batteries- I have dozens of CR123 for all my compact cameras. Back to the N60: It was produced a few years after the N70 and has a very sturdy, strong body. I noticed that there is more of the hard plastic, but that is okay- Nikon uses highquality plastic- it doesn't feel cheap. I like the layout and don't really miss any of the features from more advanced N bodies. The film rails are actually metal- similar to N70/N80. I think the N65 is all plastic. In terms of AF speed, it is quicker than my old N70, but may have a weaker motor for the really old AF lenses. The film advance is very slow, but if you press the shutter release repeatedly, you get faster than the 1 shot/sec spec. (so Nikon is limiting this body-what's new). Since the body is newer than the N70, I feel that it is a bridge to the N65/N80 using the N70 innards. I don't need DOF because I have enough experience with my lenses to know what works well. Rear flash synch- don't need it. Flash compensation- I will tape some paper over the flash to reduce it. The singular AF sensor is better for more serious amateurs, which suits me fine. Some well known webphoto sites poopoo the N60 for the AE-L/CenterWeight metering-, but this is perfect for the serious amateur- how I would want it. Matrix metering shouldn't be locked. Exposure compensation is so easy to use. So, this camera works for me and is all stealthy black.

very informative- easy to deal with

all N bodies, even the old ones. Nikon plastic is very solid- bounces back instead of denting.

[Jun 03, 2002]
Berghof
Intermediate

Strength:

Well built,lightweight,good grip,precise autofocus and well ballanced exposure metering system

no shutter cable release,it doesn't take the AA batteries

This camera loves to be held in my hands.It's feels big enough so that you get good grip.I own this camera for two years now and never had slightest problem with it.The metering system is very good I feel.It's definitely very good camera for begginers to SLR photography and even more advanced hobbyists can achieve excellent results with this camera that also looks quite professionaly in the black finish..I really miss only the option for shutter cable release.

good, in Canada Nikon offers 2 years full warranty with purchase of new camera body

Canon AE

[May 20, 2002]
PHawkshead
Expert

Strength:

It is definetly a friendly user camera. The automatic focus, the automatic f/stop feature is worth the price of the camera alone. The ability to also control everything is an absolute wonderful feature. You can't go wrong buying any of the Nikon Products, especially the N series.

The times that I've used it, I really havn't found any weaknesses.

I retired from the USAF and we used Nikon products, almost exclusively. We were involved in numerous type of terrains and different altitudes. This N60 is without a doubt the easiest camera I've ever dealt with. I would recommend it to anyone from beginner to professional.

I've not had to use Customer Service yet.

Nikon F, Hasseblad, Canon, Pentax and by far, the Nikon Product is way above everything else, except for the Hasseblad.

[Mar 11, 2002]
Bill50
Intermediate

Strength:

reliable easy to use easy on the wallet SLR makes a good 2nd body IT IS A NIKON

not much flexibility(see summary) hogs those expensive batteries-the N80 accepts an optional 4AA battery holder

Had to settle for the quartz date model because Nikon just quit making the N60 and it was all I could find. It proved to be a reliable device. About 60 or 70 rolls were put through it in the 14 months I owned it. This replaced the Canon AE-1 I was using (still own it and it''s not for sale!!). For beginners or someone who is a casual photographer,it''s an excellent choice.When I got this camera,I got serious about photography. With the AE-1, I was just a casual photographer and did not realize that I had such a great tool in my hands. As I got more and more advanced, the N60 came up short quick. No DOF preview, no cable release capability, no multiple exposures. It does not allow flash exposure compensation,changing film speed from DX coding,and it will not autofocus lenses with HSM or silent wave focusing. It does not offer spot metering, and the only way to switch from center weighted from matrix is to use Manual mode. It takes great pictures and mine was very dependable, but if you think you may go deep into photography, a better choice is the N80(I own one now).If I could do it over again, I would get the N80 the first time around, or to save money, the FM-10 manual sure looks good for an inexpensive basic camera.

not yet