Quantum Instruments Q-Flash Model T2 Flashes

Q-Flash Model T2

Qflash uses parabolic reflectors for softer, cleaner light. The reflectors are removable for bare-bulb lighting. The flash head bounces and swivels. Flash control is either automatic, TTL (with optional adapters), manual, or stroboscopic.

User Reviews (13)

Mario Moschel   Professional [Jul 23, 2007]
Strength:

Nearly everything.

Prices in europe, especially for reflectors.

Great light to shoot with: strongly built, small and flexible with Quantum's Turbo Batteries, easy to use and powerful. I used ti use some Elinchrom monolights erlier, but since I own my Qflashes, I never touched the monolights.

I like the Qflash (I also have three similiar Sunpak 120J flashes which give a fine light too, but are not as powerful and strong built like the Qflashes), especially used with Pocket Wizard and Sekonic 358 flashmeter with built-in radio transmitter. No wires, no big batteries, just a lightstand, a Qflash and lots of power.

Never needed since today..

Similar Products Used: Lumedyne System, 3xSunpak 120J, Nikon SB 800, Nikon SB 80DX, 2xCanon 580EX, Canon 430 EX, Metz 60CT4, Elinchrom D-Lites
allblood   Intermediate [Oct 09, 2003]
Strength:

Everything!!!

LCD info a little bit crowd for me (not a major complaint)

This is a superb flash with very good quality light: from direct light to bare bulb, the exposure is very accurate. However, the flash is not easy to store in a bag and carry around because of the reflector and the flash tube. I decide to leave it on my flash bracket all the time since I have to use it with my flash bracket anyway. The flash balances very well on my bracket. It's not very heavy and it's not as tall as my Metz 45. Since I have used a Quantum Turbo battery with my Canon and Vivitar flashes before, I am familiar with the charging speed and it certainly works very well with the Quantum T2 flash. Since I am using it with a 645 camera, the radially symmetric light coverage is a big advantage since I don't need to worry about the angle of coverage difference when I flip the camera 90 degrees on my bracket rotator. The only (very minor) complaint I have is the LCD screen interface. There are quite a lot of information on the screen, including the exposure confirmation info. However, you need to really read it to see it. I prefer a simpler "green light" style for the flash confiration since that's one (and usually the only) infor I always check during a busy shooting assignment. However, (as far as I know) no "green light" design will indicate you are getting too close and result in overexposed. Afterall, maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

Definitely first class!!! Their CS representatives are very knowledgeable and they respond e-mails really fast and they will answer your questions with solid answers!!

Similar Products Used: Metz 45CL4 Vivitar 285HV Canon Speedlite 550EX
DerKea302   Professional [Jun 10, 2003]
Strength:

Everything Ues Turbo and Turbo Z Batteries, and Lumedyne

non really

I find the Qflash to be the best Pro flash unit I have ever used. Try it with the bare buld enhancer gold and you never go back to regular flash again. It's a great flash for weddings and Fashion (etc,etc). And now Quantum has made it even better with the New Qflash T2D/w the QTTL adapters. Since I use Canon's EOS system I'm having my Qflash up graded to the T2D system with E-TTL flash metering. I also love the Turbo battery combo.

Replaced worn out cells from one of my Turbo and Quantum 1 batteries which took years to wear out Excellent C.S.

Similar Products Used: Sunpak 611 handle mt Sunpak 422D Canon 420EZ, 430EZ, and 540EZ
Paul Navas   Professional [Sep 27, 2002]
Strength:

BUILD QUALITY AND RELIABILITY AND ITS NOT THAT HEAVY. THE ABILITY TO CHANGE FLASH TUBE IF NEEDED AND ROUND REFLECTER.

SLIGHTLY BIG, BUT THAT IS EXPECTED FOR THE QUALITY.

BUY IT, I HAVE BEEN USING THIS FLASH FOR ALL MY WEDDINGS WITH EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS NO MATTER IF YOU USE MAN, AUTO OR TTL. IT REALLY GIVES A NICE EVEN LIGHT. MORE POWER THAN YOU NEED. I USE IT WITH MI HASSELBLAD 503CX AND I USE THE TURBO Z BATTERY AND IT WORKS FLAWLESS. IF YOU GET THE CHANCE RENT ONE AND ONCE YOU USE IT YOU GET ONE.

THOSE GUYS ARE EXCELLENT. THE NICEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER TALKED TO REGARDING QUESTION ON THEIR PRODUCT AND SERVICE. I'VE YOU LEAVE A MESSAGE THEY WILL CALL YOU BACK.

Similar Products Used: METZ 45 CL4 VIVITAR 283 HASSELBLAD D-40 SUNPAK 555
Paco   Expert [Sep 19, 2002]
Strength:

everything you ever needed...

if you don't mind the size of it ...

Buy it!

not yet

Similar Products Used: sunpack.. metz.. canon
Tony Zipple   Expert [Jun 07, 2002]
Strength:

Rock solid dependability. Great service. Does exactly what you want it to do each time.

A bit big. Requires a Turbo or Turbo Z battery (great battery, but I wish for a smaller one for shorter shoots). Expensive (but worth it).

This is a really exceptional unit. Great, even lighting. Reliable TTL. More features than most of us need. Lots of power. Very useful accessories. Goes to bare bulb in a few seconds. Works on all major cameras. Common in rental shops if you need a second or third for a particular shoot.

Great.

Similar Products Used: Canon 550Ex (I still use 2 with my Turbo batteries)
Tom Bloomer   Expert [Sep 13, 2001]
Strength:

Powerful!!! It has a true guide number of 160-ft @ ISO 100. Provides enough power for just about any portable flash circumstance. Very rugged construction. This unit is definitely built for constant professional use. Manual power settings in 1/3 stops!!! Most flashes only give full stop manual power setting controls. If you are looking for a powerful TTL flash for you super-automated camera system this is it!

Long (1/300th sec.) flash duration at full power. Too slow to synch with 1/250th focal plane shutter on 35mm SLR. It will synch with leaf shutter at 1/250th, but you will have to reduce power output if you want to synch at a higher speed. Also the long flash duration tends to blind folks eyes when you are taking portraits. I have gotten many complaints from people who say they see nothing but spots after I have taken their photo. A short flash duration <1/1000th does not have this effect. Setting controls using the buttons is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$. Working in manual mode, you have to push the "Set" button multiple times to find the setting you want to change and then scroll with the "Up" and "Down" buttons to find which setting you want. Way too much fiddling and time wasted getting the right setting. A slide or rotating button would make things faster and easier to work. The weaknesses mentioned above have caused me enough grief that I am looking for a different flash.

I have the older model T. Using it with the Turbo Z battery gives me plenty of flashes. This unit and its brother the QFX are probably the most sophisticated portable lighting systems you can buy. Unfortunately since I work mostly in manual mode, the multi-button controls slow me down and frustrait me when I am in a hurry. The long flash duration at full power limits the functionality for fill-flash outdoors.

I have called customer service on three occasions with questions about the flash. Their technical staff was very helpful and very well trained with a lot of experience. AWSOME tech support!!! Their

Similar Products Used: Vivitar 283, 285 Metz 45CT1, 60CT1 Norman 200C
Paul Foreman   Professional [May 07, 2000]
Model Reviewed: Q-Flash Model T2
Strength:

I get great consistant results with my
QT Flash. I really like the Exposure confirmation "beep" and its easy to turn off when its not wanted.
( such as during a wedding ceremony). I find the controls very easy to use. The LCD panel lights up, it is easy to read and gives me all the info I need.
The bare bulb capability and the ease of replacing the bulb, is another plus.
The light quality is exactly what I need for Weddings.

My model does not have a "hot shoe" mount. A real strong shoe mount would be great.

Quantum's QT2 is a great Flash. When I need to buy another light weight, portable flash, it will be Quantum QT2 with Turbo battery. I highly recommend this flash. Any Pro who needs a fast reliable well designed Flash for location or small studio, should seriously consider the Quantum QT2.

A phone call or an e-mail to Quantum, gets a quick, friendly, informative return call. They are great to talk to!

Similar Products Used: I had a Sunpack 122J. It's battery pack seemed to last longer, but the flash was very unrealible. The auto setting
Joel Feigenbaum   Professional [Feb 05, 2001]
Strength:

Quality of the bare bulb light is superb. Used with Hasselblad TTL 503CW Exposures never more than +1/2 -1/2 stop
Used with Portra 400. Never had a problem

No adapters for Canon EOS D30

Highly recommended for a event photography.

Had a broken clip on Turbo battery. Fixed it and returned within 3 days.