Konica Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4 Maxxum 35mm Primes

AF 50mm f/1.4 Maxxum

Normal autofocus lensfor the Minolta Maxxum system.

• Aperture range: f/1.4-22
  • Min focus: 1.5 ft.

• User Reviews (20)

NYRoadnRail   Expert [Aug 07, 2004]
    Strength:

Low light capabilities, fast quiet focusing, durable for everyday use.

Price (new or used) - There is no shortage of these lenses on eBay or in camera stores' used equipment departments... so why the continued hefty price? There appears to be more supply than demand.

Purchased my 50mm f/1.4 used on eBay, as an impulse purchase, as an upgrade for my 50mm f/1.7. I am very impressed with focusing speed, lack of noise thereof, and sharpness. The increased low light versatility (which is what I purchased it for) is remarkable. I intermittantly use it coupled with a 2x Teleconverter for 100mm f/2.8, and am impressed with results there as well. I recommend this lens to any Minolta AF body purchaser, as an alternative prior to purchasing the standard f/1.7 varient. Spend the extra money... get the added versatility.. In my opinion, Minolta should add the "G" suffix to this lens, and include it in their 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 200mm f/2.8 G lens line up.

none needed at time of this review

Similar Products Used: Minolta 50mm f/1.7
    William B   Intermediate [Jul 13, 2003]
    Strength:

Incredibly fast, sharp, small, and lightweight. And really fast focusing (on my Maxxum 7)! New rubberized focusing ring is wide and well dampened. A big difference from my f/1.7 back-up lens. Unlike a lot of Nikon lenses, this one comes with a supplied new(er) bayonet lens hood. Filter diameter is 55mm. Nice job, Minolta! Way to go.

Price. This one was $399 at Henry's (and it was on sale!). My older f/1.7 was $125 at Henry's too. Big price difference for an extra half a stop!

The 50 is, and will always be my favorite lens. I love the sharpness of primes over zooms. I would recommend buying this lens. Here's why....

Not for this lens.

Similar Products Used: 50mm f/1.7 with 49mm filter diameter.
    Canuck935   Intermediate [Apr 24, 2003]
    Strength:

Fast, Sharp. Overall excellent optical quality.

None

I first came across the 50 1.4 and 1.7 on ebay, and upon looking up the excellent reviews I decided to buy one. I found both the 1.4 and 1.7 at a local camera store, both were the older models. They weren't asking that much more for the 1.4 than the 1.7 so I bought it. It is the nicest lens I own. After seeing photos taken with this lens I am no longer satisfied with my cheap Sigma 28-80 and I'm looking to replace that now with the 24-105 D lens.

N/A

Similar Products Used: Sigma 28-80(POS), Minolta 75-300, Minolta 28-80(another POS)
    Christin   Expert [Feb 09, 2003]
    Strength:

Image quality is great! Very fast optics (f/1.4)

fair performance at wide open and F2.0

This is my main lens. What can I say about it? the sharpness, contrast and image quality in general is superb! It is small and lightweight, fast and very useful.

Similar Products Used: Contax 50mm F1.4 and F1.7
    jayrdk   Expert [Jul 14, 2002]
    Strength:

- f/1.4 gives a bright viewfinder - lightweight lens - allround lens - price - lens hood build in - no flare problems despite the f/1.4

- 1.4 is "unusable" - build-in lens hood should be a lot bigger to be serious.

I own the old version (49mm filter). Optically great: contrast, sharpness, no vignetting, no distortion. Color neutral. f/1.4 is "unusable": too soft, but from f/2 on the lens is more then OK. I also owned the 50/1.7 for a while and compared them on sharpness: from f/1.7 to f/4 the 50/1.4 is the better lens, from f5.6 there is no difference in sharpness. So no doubts about this: the 50/1.4 is the better choice.

Not needed

Similar Products Used: - Leica Summicron R 50/2.0 - Minolta AF 50/1.7
    Ioannis Sofilos   Intermediate [Aug 17, 2000]
    Strength:

Excellent performance any time, anywhere -even wide open.Quick AF.

None

Top quality lens which will satisfy highest expectations

Never needed

Similar Products Used: Nikor 50 f1,4
    Ivan   Beginner [Aug 03, 2000]
    Strength:

Very sharp, good build quality, good for hand held low light shots, nice lens for family portraits.

none

I mainly used this lens on a recent trip to Asia. The picture quality was just great. Seems pretty rugged since it got tossed around a bit in my backpack. To top it off, I got it for a great price too. Great lens.

n/a

Similar Products Used: Minolta 35-70 AF
    Tamron 28-200 AF
    Frode Nilsen   Intermediate [May 01, 2000]
    Model Reviewed: AF 50mm f/1.4 Maxxum
    Strength:

Incredible sharp, with great colours. From F2.4 the sharpnes is great. This is the best lens I have ever used. A must.

Some ghosting at all aperatures when shoting directly into the sun.

The best lens I know of. The backlight problems are minor and are easily avoided.

Never needed

Similar Products Used: 50mm F1.7 Minolta
    50mm F1.8II Canon
    28mm F2.0 Minolta
    100mm F2.8 SF Minolta
    Irakly Shanidze   Intermediate [Mar 08, 2000]
    Model Reviewed: AF 50mm f/1.4 Maxxum
    Strength:

Incredibly sharp lens. It is also as fast as it sharp, which is no surprise at 1.4 maximum apreture :-) Autofocus is very reliable and rapid even with 400si camera. Very light and compact, if one cares.

Well... One should be very creative to make use of 50mm focal length. Also, not the cheapest date in town.

If you want to spend some time in a cave shooting stalagmites, this is your best bet. Also indispensable if you want to entertain yourself with 8x11 enlargements where sharpness is what you need.

did not need