Tiffen Filters Polarizers Filters

Polarizers

Essential for outdoor photography; deepens intensity of blue skies; reduces or eliminates glare.

User Reviews (13)

seaward   Expert [Mar 11, 2011]
Strength:

Optical quality, physical quality, and low price. Several specialty filters not available from other manufacturers. Overall, same high quality for less money!

None that I can find.

TIFFEN FILTERS are a product shrouded in mystery, misinformation, and general public ignorance. I use a TIFFEN CP, and a HOYA CP, and a B+W CP. I have used UV / Haze filters made by those three companies and others, including most of COKIN’s extensive line of filters.
I have NO empirical evidence based on personal experience as an expert-level, professional photographer to indicate that one was EVER optically superior or inferior to any other.
I have dropped two (2) very expensive Nikon telephoto lenses and each lens fell onto the lens side. In both cases, the UV filter was made by TIFFEN, and in both accidents, the TIFFEN filter ring and filter took the beating.
Much is made of B+W’a brass ring, but I feel that the softer aluminum ring of the TIFFEN filters may have absorbed more of the energy of the impact than brass would have.
I think many people are too eager to accept the idea that “an American filter can’t be as good as a Japanese or German filter” I have evidence to the contrary, and just placed an order for a several specialty filters made only by TIFFEN.

No experience with customer service.

Similar Products Used: B+W, HOYA, Cokin, Heliopan,Nikon,
cammis   Casual [Jul 06, 2008]

I purchased a filter kit (UV, Polarizer, Warming). The UV and Warming are just fine. The Polarizer came with defects. The rotating ring was not fixed to the glass part, so the filter is loose and rotating the metal ring sometimes do not result in a rotation of the filter. I found out the the iiner ring was not screwd tight and I have no appropriate instrument to fix it.

Not satisfied at all as the CP is the filter I use most.
I am buying a Crystal Optics filter now.

Ciao

darksoto   Expert [Apr 13, 2006]
Strength:

great polarizer for wide shots of anything including the sky

Not good for macro unnless the object is gleeming with intense light.

Great filter if you want to include the sky.

Similar Products Used: Tiffen Floerscent Filter, and center focus filter
alxmtn   Intermediate [Jan 05, 2004]
Strength:

Performance overall is worth investment. Enhances images and helps reduce digital noise. Sky colors are deeper based on filter rotation. Easy to maintain.

Tricky to screw in front of lens since the rotating section will move as you thread onto your lens however this is a minor issue requiring some momentary patience. Alternative is to use with a CP lens hood if you can find one for your brand of camera.

I own a 62mm Tiffen CP used with my Nikkor AF D 70-300 Zoom. I find images have less digital noise compared to lens w/o CP. No vignette problems except when used indoors to shoot through windows close up. Just stand further from the window and should be ok. Best used before the sun rises to high to be effective or late in the day. This filter offers gradients when rotated and the results are consistent. Nikon offers a CP lens hood which you screw in front of the CP then screw the CP to the lens. A small handle allows you to rotate the filter. Even without using a lens hood, works fine as long as you focus first then rotate the CP. Helps me understand principles of light and composition.

None required.

Similar Products Used: 62mm Tiffen Sky Filter, Hoya 81B, 52mm Crystal Optics UV
sieracki001   Intermediate [Feb 23, 2003]
Strength:

Price. Little handle on rim that allows the filter to be turned.

Quality and long term usability. Threads seem to want to bind up.

I own a Tiffen 86mm Circular polarizer. I use it rarely recently. Have had some trouble with the filter rotation. I do like the little handle on the rim of the filter that allows rotation. I guess the aluminum that this filter is made out of (I have read it is aluminum) is worn out. I can still use it, it's just not as comfortable. Plus the glass seems to always be dirty. I bought this filter because it was half as much as a B&W or Heliopan of the same size. Guess what, I now own a B&W.

Never contacted them.

Similar Products Used: B&W CP
Photographer Will   Intermediate [Mar 18, 2002]

NONE!

Im tired of all the bashing on here. This is a great filter and tiffen makes superb filters, quit thinking and buy it now!

none

Similar Products Used: Hoya Filters(Crap!)
sirjibsalot   Intermediate [Jan 12, 2002]
Strength:

easy use, and it works

none that i can see

this is a respectable product and makes skys bluer and it looks good.

Similar Products Used: none
Jamie   Intermediate [Sep 06, 2001]
Strength:

Price

Too many

Mine is a 77mm one. The mounting ring is plastic and very loose. It keeps rotating by itself. Smaller one such as 55 mm may be better. Causes flare. Due to its thickness, it causes viganetting even on a 70-200 zoom, not to mention wide angle.

Send them a filter for replacement. Never got it back( 3 months now).

Similar Products Used: Heliopan 77mm circular polarizer
Märk   Professional [Jan 31, 2001]
Strength:

Inexpensive

Horrific ghosting problems, flaring. Near useless if you take photos with or near the sun in the viewing area.

This filter is trash if you have any thoughts of taking a photo with the sun within 45 degrees of your lens. So many of my pictures were ruined because of ghosting. I immediately bought a Singh-Ray warming polarizer, and had NO PROBLEMS. But, you need the Cokin filter system to use it so I also bought a Hoya Super HMC polarizer. Night and day difference, no problems with the Hoya nor Singh-Ray. You get what you pay for. This filter is only useful for photographs without the sun near or in your viewing area.