Clark Color Labs Printing & Sharing Photo Sharing & Printing

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 19, 2017]
    Mark
    Intermediate

Strength:

the initial set of prints (from 35mm film) are excellent (they look as if done on an optical machine). Affordable.

Reprints tend to be poor in quality (they look slightly pixelated, as if printed from a substandard scan). They routinely forget about your film (you have to remind them.). They lost one of my films. Bad customer service: One time I returned my prints for a refund (because of poor quality) and they never refunded me my money (and they were the more expensive 5x7 prints)

Decent place if you just want cheap prints. If you really care about your pictures, probably not the best place.

York Photo lab (might be the same company as clark), ABC photo lab (claim to be ex-Clark workers, but the quality is not that great)

[Jun 08, 2015]
    Hellen Poole

Strength:

always good work.

Apparently has lost my last roll of 36 mm film sent over 1 week ago

Please check to see where the roll may be. I requested the photos be mailed to Dick or Richard Mitchell of Lenoir, NC, 28645. He notified me today he has not received the photos. Please help us.
    Hellen Poole
    1813 Lee Pearson Rd. Granite Falls, NC 28630

[May 18, 2015]
    Fred Richards
    Intermediate

Strength:

Convenient to send by mailing prepaid envelope.

Quality progressively worseover past couple of years. This is the last time I'll order.

Used to have good quality years ago, but keeps getting worse.
    Couple of years agoprints started getting dark and bluish-greenish tint; looks likelight bulb used was getting older/weaker and developing solution not very fresh.
    A couple of months ago they scratched a negative I had sent for reprints,and kept screwing up the reprints I had asked for.
    Latest order,prints are printedwith digital process (not traditional process) and have horizontal lines through all the prints (like pictures on black and white TVs.) Never again.

[Oct 09, 2012]
    eddy
    Professional

Strength:

NEW ORFFERS STILL BEST PRICES FAST SERVICES THEY HAVE LISTED BEFORE THE CHANGES ON THERE WEB SITE THE CHANGES AND WHAT WAS TAKEN OUT AND THE LOW COST OFFERS TO HELP-
    IV BEEN USEING CLARK COLOR MAIL IN SERVICES FOR MANY MANY YEARS AND THERE FINE IN FIXING ANY PROBLEMS PLUS$$ AS THEY SAID ITS BEEN BUSNESS OVER 50 YEARS STILL DOES 3MM WORK. PLUS OTHER MAIL IN SERVICES AND PHOTOS PUT ON DISK NEW OFFERS AND NOW MAILES ITEMS BACK THREW STANDRED MAIL-- CLARK PHOTO GAVE ALL NOTICES OUT FROM OLD SITE AND WILL AJUST ANY PHOTO OR OTHER OFFERS IM A PHOTO G. WORKS FINE FOR ME. THERE ALSO THE FIRST MAIL IN SERVICES/

LARGE AMOUNTS OF PHOTOS DEVELOPED AT ONCE PRINTING MAY LOOSE THE FULL COLOR OR GLOSS AND NEEDED BE CROPED. AND A REFUND IS IN ORDER--FOR MORE MONEY OR BETTER ERSULTS AT TIMES?? BUT COSTLY$$ VERY TRY SHUREFLY BUT THERE NO MAIL IN SERVICES OR MAIL IN A DIGITAL MEMORY STICK AND DOESNT DO 35MM DEVELOPEING BUT VERY VERY SLOW AND COSTLY $ STAY WITH CLARCK FULL SERVICE PHOTO COMPANY

CLARK GAVE PLENTY OF NOTICES ON THERE CHANGES REPRINTS OFFERS TO KEEP YOUR PHOTOS ONLINE AFTER THE CHANGES. AND PAST PRODUCTS SAVED WITH THEM.

VERY GOOD NICE TALK TO AS THEY CLEAR UP AND CORRECT JUST ABOUT ALL THERE PRODUCTS SALES BEST PRICES!!!$$

VERY GOOD VERY--

[Jul 22, 2012]
    Sandi Pearce
    Intermediate

Strength:

At first they were wonderful - created a calendar and my wedding "Save the Date" cards with them. They were created and sent so quickly! And were beautifully done! however, when they revamped their website it all went to crap.

They revamped their website, and did not notify me that my projects would no longer be available for re-order.
    I created "Save The Date" cards for MY WEDDING - and they have the GALL to tell me I can no longer order them?!?!? What the HECK?!?! I have emailed - NEVER received a response. I called and was told by a VERY RUDE employee "Too Bad - that is your problem"!?!?! WHAT THE HECK KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THIS?!?!?! What happened to customer service, and trying to help me and work with me to make ME happy and spend more money at their business?!?!?!

I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN - THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I cannot re-order my "Save the date"cards FOR MY WEDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All due to their re-doing their website...
    VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, and unwilling to work with or keep their customers.
    They appear to never have heard of the 200 rule - if the service is bad, at a minimum at least 200 people will hear of it and not use their service.

HORRIBLE - there is NO customer service at this company.

[Jun 15, 2012]
    Melanie

Strength:

Clark Color labs have several lovely products available

Clark Color labs does not care to take orders from overseas military.
    They accept the orders and give you a confirmation and then immediately cancel the order without notifying you.
    You will only find out that the order has been cancelled when your gift is not received.
    Customer service is terrible and they will blame you for living overseas. They will not accept any blame for their issues and could care less if they lose another customer.

I was devastated to learn that my mother would not be receiving her birthday gift, nor would my father be receiving his father's day gift. I will not order from clarkcolor.com again and I suggest all overseas military to avoid this site if they are hoping to send photo gifts to their long distant family members. Customer service notified me that York and Snapfish are connected to Clarkcolor and hence, should probably be avoided, as well.

[Apr 02, 2011]
    arthur
    Intermediate

would like full 4x6 prints of full image. like to have chat with reps. thanks Arthur

[Dec 21, 2010]
    leitner_michelle
    Intermediate

Strength:

THE PICTURES ARE GLOSSY

CUTTING HEADS OFF PHOTOS, NO CONTACT NUMBER

I have ordered about 52 pictures for Christmas gifts, and half of them came with their heads chopped off. There is no telephone number to contact these people online is the only way.....and you have to wait 48 hours for someone to respond. So I guess while I'm waiting on them, I can fight the crowds to go and buy more presents for my family, since these OBVIOUSLY won't be here in time. I made sure the heads were on the pictures whenever I placed the order......therefore....no I am not pleased. For the one person who doesn't understand why people are complaining, continue to use them. No one really cares, as for the rest of us.....we will take our business elsewhere and hopefully many other people with read our comments and do the same.

NO CONTACT PHONE NUMBER

[Mar 01, 2010]
    Joseph Long
    Intermediate

Strength:

High quality film and digital processing, printing and packaging.

High quality, interesting and fun photo gifts.

Convenenient mailbox to your door service.

Good customer service through email.

Helpful informative website.

Will store your photos on Clark website indefinitely so long as you use Clark at least once a year (and they'll send you a reminder).

Free photo management software download.

Speedy turnaround whether you mail film or place order with digital files online.

Scanning and posting images to internet is always free with generously supplied coupons; photo sharing is also free.

Service and product upgrades available with upmarket Clark brands like Snapfish at additional cost.

Clark's facilities are heavily relied on and trusted by many photo retailers who have much higher name recognition like Sears and probably virtually any convenient through-the-mail to your door photo processor.

No scanning of slides or black and white films for posting to internet or placing on CD-ROM.

No processing for any film but 35mm and 110. No medium format and no odd sizes of film. This is really a shame because I shoot a lot of medium format.

I can't really understand why Clark is geting such bad reviews here. I have been using Clark almost exclusively for film developing since 2003 when I seriously got into the habit and needed an inexpensive yet quality lab to process my film.

I searched around and found that Clark, Mystic, York and Snapfish are all the same company, just with different marketing details and higher or lower levels of service. For example, Clark and York are cheap and use only paper mailers and paper bags to hold the negatives for you. Mystic and Snapfish are more expensive, use nice mylar mailers for more weather protection and send you your negatives back in weatherproof negative holders. There are other up perks for using the more expensive Clark brands as well. For me, I didn't need the plastic mailers, sleeves and added conveniences. The best bang for the buck was the bottom line.

Personally, I have always found the service at Clark to vary between very good and excellent, but never poor.

Clark does processing for many, many other retailers as well, so their quality has to be high because other companies reputations depend on them. For example, Clark also does the mail-order processing for Sears, at least back when I tried the Sears product which was around 2004. My proof is that the photos from Sears came back from the same return address as all the other companies listed above. As another example, the photo gifts service like calendars, mugs, mouse pads etc., that Clark produces at its giant location is used by virtually EVERYONE ELSE. I don't care where you go or who you use, whether it's the drug store or the fancy pants photo shop, if you want a photo mug, they take your order and forward it to Clark.

The other thing I really liked about Clark as opposed to other labs of higher or lower reputation is that I found that Clark still used chemical dip and dunk processing which actually resulted in a much higher level of quality prints. Most other labs at drug stores and even photo stores had converted over to the Fuji minilabs which scans your negative or slide, converts it into a digital file and then prints it just as if it were a digital shot. This results in weak, lifeless prints and is also the reason why many people have left film behind--because there is no difference anymore when using film since all images are treated digitally by most labs.

But not with Clark. I LOVE their dip and dunk processing. The colors are rich, the white balance is great, the gradation, everything is so much more detailed than straight digital processing. As far as I know, Clark still uses dip and dunk. I just sent a roll off last week and am awaiting the results.

One other note: Reprints, enlargements, crops, etc., are all done with new digital technology, however and if you have any specialty work done by Clark, it will often be just as good, or just as BAD as that kind of work done anywhere else because it's all done digitally. I had some reprints made and the results were the same as anyone else's. Can't really knock Clark for that in a comparison review, can I?

As for the people moaning and complaining about getting pictures back with heads cut off, I tend to believe Clark that the person who sent the film messed up the file some how. I have been dealing with them for years and have had reprints made, even the old analog way where you had to draw a little diagram or make a crop cut out on a separate piece of paper and lay it over the negative to convey what you wanted. Clark got it right every time.

The only reason I haven't used them in a while is because until Kodachrome K-14 is dead, I've been shooting that exclusively and sending it to Dwayne's directly.

Granted, working with Clark is not as convenient as going to the drug store, but it's still convenient enough because you don't have to go to the drugs store.

Here's how it works: if you shoot film, go to Clark's website and request mailers. When they arrive at your house, you will find two paper mailers and a sheet of stickers. There are four marked stickers for up to four rolls of film that you can send, a coupon for free scanning and upload to their website and two address stickers for the mailer and the order form.

You fill out the order from with what you want, fill out the Clark location nearest you on the outside of the envelope, drop the film in, write out a check for the proper amount, or include credit card info, seal the envelope (it's a good idea to use extra tape to make sure it stays sealed) and put it in the mail. The mailer shipping is free to you because it's business reply mail.

Now you wait. If you have given Clark an email address, they will notify you when they receive your order, again when they post your photos online, and again when they put your order with your prints in the mail.

If you use digital, you go to their website and upload your digital files from your computer and crop them as you like, choose the size prints you want, etc and use a credit card to pay. You will get the same email notices, which I find a nice touch.

You can also send Clark your memory card or a computer disc if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it if your memory card is expensive, just because it could get lost in the mail.

I have ordered many enlargements and reprints digitally as well as with negatives form Clark and I always got back EXACTLY what I gave them in terms of a digital file. My advice to those who messed their orders up is to make sure you know what you're doing when you crop and adjust. That said, the Clark software is really easy and, though I am a bit of a techie, I just really can't imagine people messing it up, but I know they do.

I have also ordered many photo gifts from Clark, from mugs to calendars to mouse pads and they've ALWAYS come out spectacularly. Not only am I hard to please, but the people I've given gifts to are also hard to please. So, again, I think if you know what you're doing, and I'm no genius (but I am a quality and value hound and a bit of a cheapskate), you'll get a great product in return for, really, pennies. The mugs, especially, are really heavy duty and nice. They're a little expensive for a mug, but super cheap for a gift with a favorite photo on it that someone will love forever.

Odd and ends:

Clark (and its sister sites) all offer free software that makes managing photos on your home computer really easy. I use it and I really like it.

I have literally processed hundreds of rolls of film at Clark which has yielded thousands of prints and 99.9$ of the time, they do a great job. If they don't do a great job, they make it right.

For example, one time I had a reprint made. The reprint came back great, but the negative had a finger print on it from a technician. I sent the negative back to be cleaned and Clark did so immediately and also sent me a credit for free processing.

Another time, my mailer split in the mail. But since Clark sends stickers to put on your film with Clark's address on it, the film still made it to Clark and they processed it. It was fine.

I've seen evidence where they've reprocessed prints of mine because they didn't like the quality the first time, or they have taken the extra attention to make my prints look their best. I usually get a set of great prints, but then they also send me the rejects that they've redone and the negatives have a handling strip applied to them that tells me they were rerun--all without me having to ask.

Customer service is certainly done well enough through emails.

This same level of quality can be expected from Clark, Snapfish, MysticPhotoLabs and York, all of which I have used and have been satisfied with.

In truth, after all of this time using them for many years and many, many jobs, I have zero complaints. I will gladly keep using them amd recommending them for many years to come.

Clark's customer service is as good or better than most other photo processors whether brick-and-mortar or mail order. If you want in person expert help, you won't get it, but you won't get it most anywhere you go anyway. Where you do find it, it will be expensive.

However, I've seen lots of evidence that Clark is committed to high quality without their ever having been an issue on my end. I am very satisfied with Clark's customer service.

1-800 number would be nice for those who'd rather talk to someone in person, but as mentioned, customer service issues are handled efficiently enough through email.

Shutterfly, photocheap, ABC photo, Dan's Camera City, Sears.

[Nov 30, 2009]
    cindy
    Intermediate

Strength:

NONE

TOO MANY TO LIST

This is by far one of the worst companies I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with - I ordered enlargements and the enlargements came in with half of the individuals head cut off. I had others printed elsewhere and the pictures turned out terrific. I also ordered several wallets and 5x7 all the same - head cut off - DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - they will not respond to emails and there are no customer service numbers anywhere. Tried returning the pictures which I paid shipping on and all the pictures were returned to me unclaimed. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY WITH THESE IDIOTS

NON EXISTING - DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - HORRIBLE SERVICE - HORRIBLE QUALITY AND AN OVERALL BAD EXPERIENCE FROM THE BEGINNING